Re: Need info on Spanish Bible

Ruben Gomez (rubeng@lix.intercom.es)
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 10:17:47 +0200

On Sat, 26 Apr 1997 20:53:16 -0500 (CDT), Calvin Dale George wrote:

>Does anyone have any background information on the Reina-Valera Spanish
>Bible? I'm trying to find out if it was translated from the Textus
>Receptus and some other misc. information. If you know of any good
>source of information on the subject, please contact me. Thanks.

The different versions of the Spanish Reina-Valera Bible (1909, 1960 and
1995 being the last three, all of them published by the Spanish Bible
Society) are all based upon the TR. The only Reina-Valera Bible based upon
the critical text of NA/UBS is the Reina-Valera Actualizada (RVA),
published by the Baptist Publishing House in El Paso, TX.

I don't know of any Internet URL talking specifically about these versions
of the Bible (you could perhaps try a search on Alta Vista or Yahoo, for
instance). You will find different URLs, though, where you can do searches
or find some information about Casiodoro de Reina and Cipriano de Valera,
translator and reviser of the original Bible (called _Biblia del Oso_).
There is, however, an ftp site where you can download the full text of _The
Bible in Spain_, by George Borrow
(ftp://uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu/pub/etext/gutenberg/etext96/tbisp10.txt). If
you need any further information on the matter, you are likely to find it
on any good Seminary or University Library, although some of the books
might be in Spanish.

Hope this helps,

Ruben Gomez

rubeng@lix.intercom.es