Re: James 1:13

James H. Vellenga (jhv0@viewlogic.com)
Tue, 8 Jul 97 15:23:56 EDT

> Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 13:36:45 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Jeffrey Gibson <jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu>

> And yet it puzzels me because it does not seem to take into account
> what function KAKOWN ("evils", genitive plural) has within the
> verse.
>
> To save Davids, I propose the following solution: That KAKWN goes
> not with hO GAR QEOS APEIRASTOS ESTIN but with the following
> phrase PEIRAZEI DE AUTOS OUDENA, and therefore allows James 1.13b
> to say "for God himself puts no one to the test (by means) of
> evils" or "with the intent of evil resulting"?

Irrespective of the advantages of doing so, I would think

KAKWN PEIRAZEI DE ...

to be an unusual word order. Doesn't the connective usually
follow only one word or more tightly connected phrase? The
form <participle -- main verb -- DE> seems unusual to me.

Regards,
j.v.

James H. Vellenga | jvellenga@viewlogic.com
Viewlogic Systems, Inc. __|__ 508-303-5491
293 Boston Post Road West | FAX: 508-460-8213
Marlboro, MA 01752-4615 |
http://www.viewlogic.com

"We all work with partial information."