Re: 1 Peter 1:7

Glen Riddle (glen1@flash.net)
Mon, 06 Oct 1997 09:09:00 -0700

Jim Beale wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible that "TO DOKIMION hUMWN THS PISTEWS" might be
> translated "the testing of YOU of the faith," or "the testing
> of you Christians" rather than the typical "the testing of
> your faith"? Granted, it seems unlikely, but I'm just curious.
>
> Cheers,
> Jim

Two thoughts on 1 Peter:
(1) No one has offered any substantive reason for taking the gen. UMWN
any other than possessive gen.; that's certainly the most natural use to
expect here, (2) dokimion is not just "testing", but "approved portion",
Cremer (Biblio-Theo Lexicon, 4th ed.) p. 212, "Still the means of proof
are not only, e.g., the toughstone itself, but also the trace of the
metal left thereon. Hence to dokimion thas pistews, Jas. 1.3, 1 Pet.
1.7, the result of the contact of pistis with peirasmois, that in virtue
of which faith is recognized as genuine, =the verification of faith." In
both of the passages with very similar contexts, it is not just the
testing of faith that is meant. Testing of faith (if one fails the test)
does not produce perseverance, in fact, just the opposite if one gives
in to the testing or temptation. However, when faith is tested and
proves to have an unalloyed, genuine portion...that is what produces
perseverance.
blessings,
gpr