Acts 2:36

 Recently, on a newsgroup, someone wrote the following concerning
Acts 2:36.  The discussion involved who is responsible for the death
of Jesus.

>      Secondly, the translation says "WHOM YOU HAVE CRUCIFIED", but the
>question we are dealing with was who took Yeshua's life.  I contend with
>Scripture that Yeshua gave up his life of his own accord and that no one
>took it.  Yes, crucifixion can lead to death, but in the case of Yeshua,
>he gave up his life on his own.  Every spring there are Phillipinos who
>crucify themselves, but they don't die from it.
>      The third issue to consider is whether the phrase ON HUMEIS
>ESTAUROOSATE is being dealt with properly here.  Can it for example be
>translated not only as "whom you crucified" but as "who for you was

 It seems clear to me that because humeis is nominative the correct
translation is "whom you crucified."  Is there a case in the NT text
where the latter phrase would occur?

Cindy Smith              --  Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter
cms@dragon.com           ||  A Real Live Catholic in Georgia
emory!dragon!cms         ||
><>                      /\  Woe to craven hearts and drooping hands,
Delay not your       .--/--\--.  to the sinner who treads a double path!
conversion       |----\/-||-\/----| Woe to the faint of heart who trust not,
to the Lord,     |----/\-||-/\----|   who therefore will have no shelter!
put it not off       `--\--/--'     Woe to you who have lost hope!
from day to day          \/   what will you do at the visitation of the Lord?
     -- Ecclesiasticus   ||           -- Ecclesiasticus/Ben Sira 2:12-14
        /Ben Sira 5:8    --