arsenokoites and malakos

(Warning, small amount of additional promotion follows :-)

I can't resist because this is just the type of situation in which
Louw-Nida may provide useful insights. With a few mouse clicks, I get
the following two entries:

88.280  a)rsenokoi/thj, ou m : a male partner in homosexual
intercourse - `homosexual.' ou)k oi)/date o(/ti ... ou)/te moixoi\
ou)/te malakoi\ ou)/te a)rsenokoi=tai ... basilei/an qeou=
klhronomh/sousin `don't you know that ... no adulterers or homosexuals
... will receive the kingdom of God' 1 Cor 6.9-10. It is possible that
a)rsenokoi/thj in certain contexts refers to the active male partner
in homosexual intercourse in contrast with malako/j b , the passive
male partner (88.281).

88.281  malako/j b , ou= m : the passive male partner in homosexual
intercourse - `homosexual.' For a context of malako/j b , see 1 Cor
6.9-10 in 88.280. As in Greek, a number of  other languages also have
entirely distinct terms for the active and passive roles in homosexual

Of course, one would want to search the papyri as well as the TLG. The
PHI papyri produces the well-known PHib  2 as well as other examples.

John Baima
Silver Mountain Software   1029 Tanglewood, Cedar Hill, TX 75104
john@ling.uta.edu          Voice (214) 293-2920 Fax 293-2921