Univ of Virginia (804) 982-3718 wrk INTERNET: djm5g@virginia.edu
Box 512 Med Cntr (804) 924-5261 msg   BITNET: djm5g@virginia
C'ville VA 22908 (804) 296-7209 fax   IBM US: usuvarg8
*** Forwarding note from SMTP    --DMT03    01/25/94 11:18 ***
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 10:20:04 CST
From: vondehsenchris%faculty%Carthage@cns.carthage.edu
Subject: re: arsenokoites and malakos
To: nt-greek-request@virginia.edu

the meaning of aresenokoites and malakos in my doctoral dissertation, "Sexual
Relations and the Church: An Exegetical Study of 1 Corinthians 5-7"
(unpublished, Union Theological Seminary, NYC, 1987).  These two words are
extreemly difficult to translate into English.  They seem not to bear a
singular reference to homosexuals and their presence in a list of offenders
makes the context almost useless in determining a fixed meaning for the words.
(By the way, Paul's use of arsenokoites here is the first attested use of this

Christian D. von Dehsen
Carthage College
Kenosha, WI  53140