[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Question on negation.

I can't tell from the posting what it is about Rom 7:15,19 and the use of
negation here that is problemmatic.  Can you clarify please?  The only
variation I can see is word order, "ou gar ho thelo", cf. v. 16 "ei de ho
ou thelo".  But such variation is word order with "ou" is not without
analogies elsewhere in the NT and contemporary works.  By the by, for
students developing some acquaintance with the niceties and variationsin
biblical greek, I recommend still a VERY useful but little known work:
Maximilian Zerwick, BIBLICAL GREEK ILLUSTRATED BY EXAMPLES, trans. and
adapted by Joseph Smith, "Scripta Pontificii Instituti Biblici" vol. 114;
Rome: Pontifical Institute, 1963.  On negatives, see esp. pp. 148-51.
Larry Hurtado, Religion, Univ. of Manitoba

Follow-Ups: References: