Re: Luke 4:21 (NIV)

On Mon, 9 May 1994 13:21:10 -0400 (EDT) you said:
>The NIV is indeed questionable.  It seems to me that the division  into
>two sentences is precisely the problem. The NIV seems to want to make the
>impact of this sentence  that Jesus was included in the general baptism,
>and secondly that the heavens were opened up while Jesus was praying.
>Whereas the genitives absolute are  both circumstantial participles (of
>time?, perhaps) describing or modifying the three following infinitives,
>all of which are introduced by the initial "EGENETO DE."

It seems to me that in the second regard, the NIV translation is correct:
namely, that the heavens opened up while Jesus was praying and AFTER he had
been baptized. Is there an alternative way of reading the tense differenti-
ation between the aorist baptisthentos and the present proseuxomenou in the
genitive absolute phrase that presumably functions adverbially to define
when the Spirit descended upon Jesus?

Classics, Washington University, One Brookings Dr., St. Louis, MO 63130
Phone: (314) 935-4018