[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Luke 2:36f

Hello All:

With great fear and trembling at renewing the old _parthenos_ debate, I
wonder if I could ask a translation question about Luke 2:36?  The phrase
in question reads in the Greek:  "zesasa meta andros ete hepta apo
tes parthenias autes . . ."  The NIV has chosen to translate this verse as
"There was also a prophetess, Anna, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe
of Asher.  She was very old; she had lived with her husband seven years
after her marriage."  The NRSV reads similarly, but the KJV and RSV read
"she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her
virginity; . . ."  Now the question--what is the best sense of the Greek
here in Luke?  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Leo Percer
PERCERL@BAYLOR.EDU