[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Q and Papias

   Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 12:00:46 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Larry Swain <lswain@billings.lib.mt.us>
   Cc: Michael_Thompson@housing.ucsd.edu, B-Greek@virginia.edu,
	   kenneth@sybase.com

   That depends on whether you see the birth narrative as "tacked on" or as
   a piece of the whole cloth of the gospel.  I don't think we can seperate
   out the birth story as some sort of detachable prologue, and say that the
   "main" gospel to start with shared Markan material.

Whatever the origin of the narrative (and for the record I side with
the "piece of the whole cloth theory") it is not some primal
autographic ur-text that Christians look to, but the canonical text of
the Gospel.  To understand Matthew one cannot begin by retreating to
some earlier text which is not Matthew.

For further information, see Brevard Childs.

	-mib

Follow-Ups: References: