Date: Tue, 1 Nov 1994 06:09:53 -0600 (CST)
From: Carl W Conrad <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
To: Larry Swain <lswain@billings.lib.mt.us>
Subject: Re: Q and Papias

On Mon, 31 Oct 1994, Larry Swain wrote:
> Thank you Carl.  Your comments regarding Marcan preservation  certainly
> revealed my own glaring omissions.  I neglected to mention any of that in
> my response to David, and it is just as valid as a connection with Peter.
>
> On the stylistic issue, I agree, and I appreciated your comments.
>
> -Larry Swain
> Parmly Billings Library
> lswain@billings.lib.mt.us

I just want to reiterate what I hope that I made clear in my message:
that despite the reservations and remaining uncertainties that I have on
this issue of stylistic proof, I am personally persuaded as yet of the
probable truth of: (a) 2-source hypothesis; (b) Marcan priority; (c)
existence and basic extent of a Q text; (d) the abominability(?) of
Mark's Greek; (e) the unlikelihood of Ephesians deriving from the same
author as Philippians; (f) the unlikelihood that Aeschylus wrote the
Prometheus Bound; (g) the unquestionable integrity of the literary corpus
of Henry James. I don't know whether this means I have a partially open
mind or a very hard head, but that's it. I just don't want to cloud the
issue of where I stand on the general issues under discussion in this
very loosely-termed "Q/Papias" thread--although I would hope we're not
counting heads and that we can continue to respect each other as we argue.

Cheers,

Carl W. Conrad
One Brookings Drive, St. Louis, MO 63130, USA
(314) 935-4018