Matthew 5:39

On Tue, 1 Nov 1994, Gregory Jordan (ENG) wrote:

> No seriously, I have a hard time picturing Jesus turning his cheek in the
> following passages (which in fact leads me to think he was being
> metaphorical in Matt. 5:39), but it's up to the reader to decide.

I'm wondering if you could specify what you mean by "metaphorical."  Do
you mean metaphorical in the sense that it applys to contexts other than
facial blows?  If so, I think Jesus' whole arrest and cricifixion is an
act of turning the other cheek and we're left with the question (probably
out of the context of B-Greek) of when one should act as Jesus did, not
resisting when it would be possible.  At any rate, we are not necessarily
justified in calling Jesus a hypocrite.

On the other hand, if by metaphorical you mean that Jesus did not
indicate that one should, at time, not resist evil, what did he mean?

					Travis Bauer
					Jamestown College