[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Phil. 2.13? (gram. subj.?)

> Phil. 2:13, 'Theos gar estin ho energwn en humin...'
>
> 1. Which is the subject ('Theos' or 'ho energwn')?
> 2. Is this a convertible or subset proposition?

Many people have already noted that theos is the predicate.  The phenomenon
that when the predicate precedes an articular subject it is anarthrous used to
be referred to as Colwell's rule.  I think he established that it is always the
case that when an anarthrous nominative precedes an articular nominative the
noun with the article is the subject,  at least in the NT.

As to whether it is convertible or a subset, must be answered from context, not
syntax.  I'm not sure I would wish to limit my options, but I'd lean toward
convertible.
**  Dan G. McCartney                   |        I'net: DMCCARTNEY@HSLC.ORG  **
**  Assoc. Prof. of NT                 |          WTS: 215 887 5511         **
**  Westminster Theol Seminary         |       Office: 215 572 3818         **
**  Box 27009, Chestnut Hill           |          Fax: 215 887 5404         **
**  Philadelphia, PA  19090            |         Home: 215 659 7854         **