[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Phil. 2:13, etc.

pgraber@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu (Philip L. Graber) writes:

>On Tue, 1 Nov 1994, Carl W Conrad wrote:
>
>> My vote, for what it's worth: the subject is "ho energwn."
>
>Ditto.
>
>Another interesting passage in Paul along these lines is Rom 8:33-34:
>
>tis egkalesei kata eklektwn qeou; qeos ho dikaiwn: tis ho katakrinwn;
>Xristos [ihsous] ho apoqanwn, mallon de egerqeis, hos kai estin...

     Dan McCartney has mentioned Colwell's rules for the use of the article
with predicate nouns in the NT.  But don't Phil. 2:13 and  the passage
mentioned, from Rom. 8:33-4, above represent instances of relative clauses in
the predicate in which Colwell's rules do not apply (Moulton III 183)?

    So we translate "God is He who is working in you...."  or "It is God who
is working in you" (I wonder, does the latter make "God" a predicate
nominative in relation to "It is..."?)  In the Romans passage mentioned above
we could translate "It is God who justifies: who is he who condemns..."  But,
no, it doesn't look as if we could make O( ENERGWN the subject in Phil. 2:13
nor is O( DIKAIWN the subject en Rom. 8:33.  These are participles which
constitute relative clauses.   So we may read "...who empowers," "...who
justifies."

David Moore