Re: eph 2:1

>  Is there any reason anyone can think of as to why most translations of Eph.
>  2:1 translate the present participle ontas as were instead of being? This
>  could be then rendered:
>  and you being dead-ones by the trespasses and the sins of ye--instrumental--
>  or
>  and you being dead-ones with reference to the trespasses and with reference
>  to the sins of ye---dative---
>  Due to the context I would prefer the first choice because down in verse 5
>  we have the same thought continued though rectified - and being-ontas-us
>  dead-ones by the trespasses He-jointly-made-alive-(us)with the Christ....
>  I've always wondered about this and perhaps someone could enlighten me.
>  Any thoughts?                         Thanks,
Well, I would offer the awkwardness of the English as a good reason.
English tends not to use stative verbs in the imperfective
constructions, viz. I know the answer vs. I am knowing the answer.
When the stative verbs do occur in these forms, they tend to have
active readings, e.g. I am an American, vs. I am being an American.
It's hard to imagine an active reading of being dead...

Mari Broman Olsen
Northwestern University
Department of Linguistics
2016 Sheridan Road