From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 1994 04:23:19 -0800
Subject: Parthenos

I am interested in the history of this word. In the Greek OT it is used
in Isaiah 7:14, but it also appears in Genesis 3:43 in a place where it
is clear that it does not mean 'virgin' but a 'young women'. Further in
the NT it is clear that it is used as meaning virgin. I have also read
that it was modified in Is 7:14 in the Hexapla. Any information would be

From: Bruce Terry <terry@bible.acu.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 1994 14:42:15 CST
Subject: Textlinguistics/Discourse Analysis

On Thu, 22 Dec 1994, Steve Waechter wrote:
> My dissertation is on a textlinguistic analysis of the Book of Revelation.

My dissertation likewise was a discourse analysis of 1 Corinthians.  I am
wondering how many people on B-Greek have done work in or have an interest in
textlinguistics and/or discourse analysis (as if there is a real difference),
including the areas of frame structures, macrostructures, macro-segmentation,
micro-segmentation, text types, paragraph analysis, constituent structure
analysis, transitions, rhetorical patterns, coherence and cohension,
prononinal reference, code switching, peak, participant analysis (including
subject and object tracking), Greek clause word order, quotations, and style
changes.  Please reply to the e-mail address below.

Bruce Terry                            E-MAIL: terry@bible.acu.edu
Box 8426, ACU Station		       Phone:  915/674-3759
Abilene, Texas 79699		       Fax:    915/674-3769

From: Greg Carey <CAREY@library.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 1994 15:07:51 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: Textlinguistics/Discourse Analysis

I was nomail over the holidays, and missed Steve's post about his
dissertation.  I am working on a rhetorical reading of Revelation,
particularly John's struggle for narrative authority (ethos).  Did I
miss a potential conversation partner?

(Don't know much about discourse analysis, will study.)

Greg Carey
Graduate Department of Religion
Vanderbilt University

End of b-greek-digest V1 #528