From: "Philip L. Graber" <pgraber@emory.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 21:09:02 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Lk 19:1-10: ambiguous present tense

On Tue, 7 Nov 1995, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> Actually, there was a reply Sunday night from David Moore upon which he
> expanded still further last night (I must say, David appears to do good
> work late at night!).

I have suspected that I've been missing things. Come to think of it, I've
not received my own message which I sent to the list (I usually do).

> I am not trying to argue for Fitzmyer's
> interpretation, Phil, but I want to be clear on your understanding of this
> present tense. Isn't it context alone that decides you that the meaning of
> DIDWMI here is future?

Yes, that is what I'm saying. "Context is everything," at least for
present tense verbs!

> If all other things were void of indication, would
> the form not be capable of expressing the speaker's sense that this is what
> he regularly and normally does--has done and will continue doing? I'm
> trying to ascertain whether, apart from other indications in the narrative,
> Fitzmyer's understanding of the present tense is excluded from
> consideration.

I would think it would be easy to construct a context in which Fitzmyer's
understanding would make perfect sense (well, really present imperfect
sense; but you probably knew what I meant).

Philip Graber				Graduate Division of Religion
Graduate Student in New Testament	211 Bishops Hall, Emory University
pgraber@emory.edu			Atlanta, GA  30322  USA

From: Micheal Palmer <mpalmes@email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 21:25:15 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Discourse Analysis

On Tue, 7 Nov 1995, Allan Lyons wrote:

> I am looking for any information/resources (books, articles, URLs,
> etc.) that deal with discourse analysis and the Biblical text.  How is
> discourse analysis used?  What does discourse analysis offer to the
> biblical scholar?  etc.  If anyone is interested, they could contact me
> for a summary.

Three books which have appeared in the last few years are:

Stephen H. Levinsohn. _Discourse Features of New Testament Greek: A
Coursebook_. Dallas: Summer Institute of Linguistics, 1992.

David Alan Black, ed. _Linguistics and New Testament Interpretation:
Essays on Discourse Analysis_. Nashville: Broadman, 1992.

Stanley E. Porter and D.A. Carson, eds. _Discourse Analysis and Other
Topics in Biblical Greek_. JSNT Supplement Series, 113. Sheffield:
Sheffield Academic Press, 1995.

I hope you find these helpful.

Micheal W. Palmer
Greek and New Testament