ὁ βασιλεὺς Ἰσραήλ: objective or subjective genitive?

Andrew Chapman

Re: ὁ βασιλεὺς Ἰσραήλ: objective or subjective genitive?

Post by Andrew Chapman »

Thtanks very much, David, for your help and insights. I am trying to read more Greek, and now have the UBS New Testament Reader's Edition, which is a great help. My own slight complaint are the sub-titles in English (!). For the record, contra Wes Wood above, the textual notes, though fairly few, do include references to the Byzantine manuscripts.

Andrew
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

Andrew Chapman wrote:Thtanks very much, David, for your help and insights. I am trying to read more Greek, and now have the UBS New Testament Reader's Edition, which is a great help. My own slight complaint are the sub-titles in English (!). For the record, contra Wes Wood above, the textual notes, though fairly few, do include references to the Byzantine manuscripts.

Andrew
Where in here did I mislead you?
Wes Wood wrote:You are right on about the UBS having more variants listed and that was one of my considerations as well. Because the nestle-Aland has a more complete critical apparatus, I knew I would end up getting it anyway so ultimately that was not the deciding factor for me. The only variants listed in the reader are those that differ from the westcott-hort text to agree with the "standard" critical text. The real challenge for me has been using the apparatus :shock: .
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

I figured it out. When I was referring to the reader, i was intending the Reader's Greek New Testament. I have always used the labels reader, UBS, and NA for the three. Sorry i wasn't as clear as I meant to be.
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
Andrew Chapman

Post by Andrew Chapman »

Wes Wood wrote:
Andrew Chapman wrote:. For the record, contra Wes Wood above, the textual notes, though fairly few, do include references to the Byzantine manuscripts.

Andrew
Where in here did I mislead you?
Wes Wood wrote:.. The only variants listed in the reader are those that differ from the westcott-hort text to agree with the "standard" critical text. .
Well, I think Westcott-Hort and Nestle-Aland stand broadly within the same ('Alexandrian') textual tradition, and the differences between them would be quite small compared to the differences between either of these and the Byzantive/Received Text/Majority Text tradition.

I didn't feel misled at all, since I had already purchased the item, and appreciated your advice and recommendation, I just wanted to point this out for the benefit of anyone else who was trying to decide which one, if either, to get.

Andrew
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

I was meaning the only variants listed in the readers greek New Testament are those few that vary from the "standard" critical text. It has no apparatus. I was saying that the NA's apparatus is more complete than the UBS. I am referring to the manuscript evidence it lists.

Return to “Syntax and Grammar”