Linguistic adequacy and Greek grammars

cwconrad

Linguistic adequacy and Greek grammars

Post by cwconrad »

Mike Aubrey is a participant in this forum, but inasmuch as it's not everybody that keeps an eye on his blog, I think it's worth noting that Mike has begun his own fresh account of this matter that has already had considerable discussion right here amongst us.

http://evepheso.wordpress.com/2014/06/0 ... -grammars/

It's sad to contemplate the likelihood of anything that will replace or significantly add to the "classic" Greek grammars that are currently accessible. Reference grammars and primers are different things, of course, but primers do count for a lot in Biblical Greek pedagogy. However it may come to be assessed, Rod Decker's new primer -- his parting gift to us -- displays significant attention given to questions of what a Biblical Greek primer ought to be.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Stephen Carlson

Re: Linguistic adequacy and Greek grammars

Post by Stephen Carlson »

I'm on record for the need for a new reference grammar of Koine. Primers are fine, and motivated teachers and students can make up for inadequacies in the primer.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
ed krentz

Re: Linguistic adequacy and Greek grammars

Post by ed krentz »

For years in teaching a rapid reading course on the reek NT I had students purchase

H. P. V. Nunn, A Short Syntax of New Testament Greek. Cambridge: at 4the University Press, 1912. Fifth rev. ed., 1938. Often reprinted.
Part I (pp. 1-24) is a review of English grammar, something that most American students do not know. Part II (pp. 25-180) gives a brief summary of NT syntax using traditional grammatical categories. Every syntactical description is illustrated with citation(s) from the Greek NT. Appendix I is n illustrative passage with notes from the GNT. Appendix II (pp. 138-170) is a selection of passages from patristic texts that is a useful reader for students.

I do not recall that anyone has called attention to this resource in recent years.

This text is available in PDF form from Textkit.

Nunn also provided A Short Syntax of Attic Greek which some of you may find useful.
Edgar Krentz
Prof. Emeritus of NT
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago

Return to “Syntax and Grammar”