List of Articular Infinitives

Jonathan Robie

Re: List of Articular Infinitives

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Jonathan Robie wrote:Here I'm having problems with the representation of "τὰ δὲ ἔθνη" in both versions. I was expecting a single CL containing the conjunction δὲ, followed by perhaps a CL that contains the rest of the clause that contains τὰ ἔθνη, κτλ. But I could easily be missing something here.
Randall Tan wrote:Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you mean, Jonathan. Can you clarify? Conjunctions that join clauses actually are always in between the clauses they join whenever we can show all the clauses involved in the same tree. When conjunctions function in relation to sentences, as a way to quickly check if there are any orphaned trees (every tree should always only have one topmost node), we had to place the conjunction with the second sentence it conjoins & connect it to that second sentence. We removed the Head attribute for the node where the conjunction connects to the second sentence as one way to indicate that the conjunction doesn't really belong with the sentence--there is no head when it connects to the sentence. The conjunction is still considered to function between the two sentences to conjoin them.
OK, I withdraw my statement. I was making an apples-to-oranges comparison while looking at a few examples.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Syntax and Grammar”