Telicity of ἐλθεῖν (ἕρχομαι)?

Semantic Range, Lexicography, and other approaches to word meaning - in general, or for particular words.
TimNelson

Re: Telicity of ἐλθεῖν (ἕρχομαι)?

Post by TimNelson »

I'm fairly convinced that this is a case of misunderstanding.

Scott, I didn't have any problem with Dr. Carlson's comments (though I'm the newbie here, and am glad I can leave it to others to make the call) -- it may be a matter of how they're read. As an example, I understood Dr. Carlson's comments about "summit" to mean (roughly) "I don't understand your comments because I lack pertinent information; if you'd be so good as to provide it, that would be helpful".

Stephen: Despite Scott's initial tone, is his suggestion regarding the verb "crest" a useful one?

Mike (and Stephen, but Mike's the one with the pending reply): I second the point that it would be interesting for the rest of us to see further exchanges.

Hope this helps,
--
Tim Nelson
B. Sc. (Computer Science), M. Div. Looking for work (in computing or language-related jobs).
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

Stephen and I have been friends for years now, albeit mostly online, Scott. We're pretty cordial.

If I had known 'to summit' wasn't very recognizable, I'd have used a different verb--though to be honest, I'm rather flabergasted that it isn't in the OED. I'll be writing to the editor on that one. That's a big failure on their part. That sense of the word is at least two hundred of years old (the earliest sense I could find in google books was from 1830).

Anyway, 'Crest' works. In terms of verbs of motion, 'to arrive,' perhaps, would be most relevant to the discussion at hand, since that's what's at issue. I'll try to write a post responding in more detail, but that will probably not happen until after SBL.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

MAubrey wrote:Stephen and I have been friends for years now, albeit mostly online, Scott. We're pretty cordial.
Yeah, though I suppose that tone control is hard on the internet and it's possible that one can get the wrong impression? At any rate, you're pretty much the only person I can talk to about these topics, so the idea that I'd want to end the conversation couldn't be farther from the trutch.
MAubrey wrote:If I had known 'to summit' wasn't very recognizable, I'd have used a different verb--though to be honest, I'm rather flabergasted that it isn't in the OED. I'll be writing to the editor on that one. That's a big failure on their part. That sense of the word is at least two hundred of years old (the earliest sense I could find in google books was from 1830).
Some of OED's omissions are shocking. At any rate, your example
For his big camping trip, John was summitting the mountain on Thursday and then going fly fishing on Friday and Saturday.
struck me as possibly being iterative (going to the mountain top multiple times) but since I'm not a hiker / mountain climber, I don't really know whether that interpretation is really available or not. "Cresting" would have a similar issue, though I feel it most aptly refers to waves coming to a peak / crest.
MAubrey wrote:Anyway, 'Crest' works. In terms of verbs of motion, 'to arrive,' perhaps, would be most relevant to the discussion at hand, since that's what's at issue. I'll try to write a post responding in more detail, but that will probably not happen until after SBL.
Maybe I can get an oral overview at SBL.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Word Meanings”