The four dimensions of Greek

Semantic Range, Lexicography, and other approaches to word meaning - in general, or for particular words.
Stephen Hughes

The four dimensions of Greek

Post by Stephen Hughes »

ImageImage

In the pictures of a solid object and of a bucket displayed above α is longer than β.

Am I correct in understanding that the letters corresponding to the dimensions are:
  • α - πλάτος
  • β - μῆκος
  • γ - ὕψος
  • δ - βάθος
Assuming that is right for a moment, is it right because
  • the relative positions of α and β, which I describe as πλάτος and μῆκος relative to me the observer - the one that runs length-way in front of me is πλάτος "width" while the one that runs length-ways away from me is μῆκος "length" because it gets more distant from me as I measure it - external observer-referentiality of proportions (in the way that γ and δ are measured relative to a datum - perhaps the surface that something is sitting on such as a table or the ground for γ, or relative to the surface of the water for δ), OR
  • is it dependent on the relative proportions of α and β, where in this case the longer side of the object is designated by α, and if the object were oriented 90 degrees to the left or right, the longer side would still be πλάτος - such as when we walk around a vehicle or some sort of water-craft, we can speak of it's length and width no matter where we are relative to it - internal (self-)referentiality of dimensions.
[The same system of referentiality question can be asked for directions too. It is the "Copy me, raise the same hand as me." scenario. Some people we act as a mirror, while others will raise left, because they see left being raised. While a statement like, on my right are less likely to be ambiguous, something like "on the right of the such and so" is ambiguous because it begs the question of whether it means As you look at it, or In relation to it in itself. Similar to the question of left-right vs. port-starboard.]
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “Word Meanings”