P.I.E./Greek/English etymologies

Semantic Range, Lexicography, and other approaches to word meaning - in general, or for particular words.
jgrauman

P.I.E./Greek/English etymologies

Post by jgrauman » September 5th, 2011, 1:04 am

Hello all,

I've read this list frequently, but haven't posted much. I'm teaching beginning Greek and am introducing the students to some basic linguistics (Grim's law) to whet their appetites for linguistics and show its usefulness. In so doing I am compiling a list of cognates between English/Koine/P.I.E. I've picked up various lists here or there (the list in Carl Conrad's Compendium of Ancient Greek Phonology is *exactly* what I'm looking for), but would like to grow the list. I've added words here or there I've seen in C.D. Buck's dictionary and other words I know/have come across, but was wondering if anyone knows of other lists out there? Thanks for any suggestions!

Josh
0 x

cwconrad

Re: P.I.E./Greek/English etymologies

Post by cwconrad » September 5th, 2011, 10:17 am

A valuable and relatively inexpensive work is The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots, Third Edition [Paperback] Calvert Watkins. Copies of the older edition are available from second-hand dealers, but the new edition will be published soon at a good price.

There's a useful list of online Greek lexical resources at http://www.lexilogos.com/english/greek_ ... ionary.htm
0 x
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)

Return to “Word Meanings”