ἐνεστερνισμένοι

Semantic Range, Lexicography, and other approaches to word meaning - in general, or for particular words.
refe

ἐνεστερνισμένοι

Post by refe »

1 Clement has the word ἐνεστερνισμένοι which should be the nom pl masc aor mid ptc of ἐνστερνίζω. Problem is, I can't find a definition for ἐνστερνίζω anywhere - at least among the resources I have access to. Checked BDAG, Intermediate Lexicon, and searched Perseus. Anyone happen to know this word?
timothy_p_mcmahon

Re: ἐνεστερνισμένοι

Post by timothy_p_mcmahon »

There's an interesting explanation of this form at the bottom of a blog page.
RickBrannan

Post by RickBrannan »

refe wrote:1 Clement has the word ἐνεστερνισμένοι which should be the nom pl masc aor mid ptc of ἐνστερνίζω. Problem is, I can't find a definition for ἐνστερνίζω anywhere - at least among the resources I have access to. Checked BDAG, Intermediate Lexicon, and searched Perseus. Anyone happen to know this word?
BDAG has this entry with a deponent form of the word as the head term ἐνστερνίζομαι, "to store away within oneself" as the extended definition (bold italic text in BDAG).

Lightfoot's commentary on 1 Clem has a decent note though most of it regards the variants at this point instead of the word meaning itself. He glosses this as "ye took them to heart", tying it back to τους λογους earlier in the verse. Speaking of which, here is the verse (1Cl 2.1) in the Greek, followed by my translation:
Clement of Rome (Lake's Edition) wrote:Πάντες τε ἐταπεινοφρονεῖτε μηδὲν ἀλαζονευόμενοι, ὑποτασσόμενοι μᾶλλον ἢ ὑποτάσσοντες, ἥδιον διδόντες ἢ λαμβάνοντες. τοῖς ἐφοδίοις τοῦ Χριστοῦ ἀρκούμενοι, καὶ προσέχοντες τοὺς λόγους αὐτοῦ ἐπιμελῶς ἐνεστερνισμένοι ἦτε τοῖς σπλάγχνοις, καὶ τὰ παθήματα αὐτοῦ ἦν πρὸ ὀφθαλμῶν ὑμῶν.
Translation (RB) wrote: And you were all humble-minded, in no way being boastful, being submissive rather than forcing submission, giving more gladly than receiving, being satisfied with the provisions of Christ, and paying attention to his words you have carefully stored away in your innermost being, and his sufferings were before your eyes.
Rick Brannan
Information Architect, Greek Databases
Logos Bible Software
George F Somsel

Post by George F Somsel »

The usual position is that this is from ἐστερνίζομαι which is so rare as almost to not even be a hapax ! I would suggest that it comes from στέρνον with the prefix ἐν and the ·ιζομαι ending meaning "to place in one's heart."
george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
learn truth, love truth, speak the truth, hold the truth,
defend the truth till death.

- Jan Hus
refe

Post by refe »

RickBrannan wrote: BDAG has this entry with a deponent form of the word as the head term ἐνστερνίζομαι, "to store away within oneself" as the extended definition (bold italic text in BDAG).
I didn't see that entry - that's what I get for searching for it instead of just looking it up manually! Thanks folks.

Return to “Word Meanings”