Example of 3rd decl., velar-stem, ending in χ

Stephen Hughes

Re: The utility of obiter dicta

Post by Stephen Hughes »

David Lim wrote:
cwconrad wrote:I can't help but take note here of how these threads go on forever without much accretion of information about the original query. It's all snippets of conversation, all little autobiographical notes on personal preferences, that seem to be the catalyst for ongoing λαλία. Methinks, however, that this is what helps to constitute a "community" of inquiry.
Maybe we should set up a specialized subforum where we can freely go off-tangent onto anything under the sun. :)
It is good to know the starting points of people who contribute regularly to a discussion.

As regards impinging on the turf of textual criticism... I suits me just fine that B-Greek has no discussion of modern textual critiicism, and wouldn't do anything to challenge that rule or encourage that discussion, but from the point of view of language, it is interesting to see that there is textual evidence (Codex Bezae - D) where the non-diminutive form of ψιξ is used. If this had not come up, I would still have the unclarified opinion that ψιχίον was the only form attested at that period in the Koine.

Generally I think it is great to look at what any and every extant text contains, because they might give some clue as to how to better understand or express ourselves in Greek.

This thread may seem like a rambling conversation, but as the Odyssey shows us the road we travel can sometimes be more valuable to our life and learning experiences than the destination we believe that ought to so quickly reach.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “Other”