Comprehensive Vocab Lists

Resources and methods for teaching and learning New Testament Greek.
Thomas Dolhanty

Re: Comprehensive Vocab Lists

Post by Thomas Dolhanty »

Stephen Hughes wrote:In learning a dead language, the foreignness of a foreign language is dulled or even lost. We are spared the confronting experience of culture shock and personal re-orientation, in which we must find new expression for our same humanity. We are like tourists who walk through a foreign country in isolation and non-interaction with the world, bringing all of our conceptualisations and interpretations of life to bear on the experience of travel, and who go home a little richer, but not fundamentally different.
This would be true for a language which is really "dead". There is a sense in which it is not entirely true for this particular language, though. It has had such a profound influence on our world (first the western world, and then the larger world through the western world) that to some degree the language still 'lives'. Moreover, the effect of the Greek Bible is that, for a sizable portion of our world, that word "still speaks to us today", and the transmission of the meaning and sense of the language has been well documented and reliable overall.

That does not mean we can experience their world, but we have inherited a considerable record of that experience from Biblical texts and extra-Biblical texts.
γράφω μαθεῖν
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I think we're wandering way off of the topic Peter started here. Peter, are there other things you want to discuss in this thread?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
veronicasteele

Post by veronicasteele »

I've been using another great resource - StudySoup. It can be really difficult learning this language and their guides and flashcards are submitted by others, which I have found to be helpful.
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

veronicasteele wrote:I've been using another great resource - StudySoup. It can be really difficult learning this language and their guides and flashcards are submitted by others, which I have found to be helpful.
Their website smells like a plagiarism mill - upload your class-notes and sell them to other students???? "I bought an awesome study guide, which helped me get an A in my Math 34B class this quarter!" (from their entry page) Hmmmm.

What would be really useful would be a list of genuinely **free** websites where teachers can upload flash-cards and other study helps for Greek. Most of the ones I've looked at charge a fee for use if one wants to upload. I'm now looking at Memrise http://www.memrise.com/home/ which seems to be genuinely free - but it doesn't seem to do anything else except flash-cards.
Does anyone have a good suggestion for a place where we might all dump our flash-cards, quizzes, picture dictionaries, etc. and make them available in one location for all our students?
Shirley Rollinson
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Will quizlet work? I'v used it for Latin, never for Greek, so not sure if it will do Greek letters...http://quizlet.com
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
James Spinti

Post by James Spinti »

Barry,

Quizlet works fine. If you look, you will see lots of Greek out there (I know, I put some of it there!):
https://quizlet.com/subject/koine-greek/
The biggest problem (and some wouldn't see it as a problem) is that it uses Modern Greek pronunciation as its default.

James
Proofreading and copyediting of ancient Near Eastern and biblical studies monographs

Return to “Teaching and Learning Greek”