Greek for Elementary?

Resources and methods for teaching and learning New Testament Greek.
Gregory Soderberg

Greek for Elementary?

Post by Gregory Soderberg »

Can anyone recommend Koine Greek curriculum for 4th-6th grades, preferably an immersive/communicative approach. I have a friend who'd like to try this at Oak City Academy, in Raleigh, NC.
Jonathan Robie

Re: Greek for Elementary?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I don't know of one.

I live in Durham, NC. I'd be very interested in talking to your friend, but I may or may not be helpful .... I also know a few people who taught Greek in high school.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

Gregory Soderberg wrote:Can anyone recommend Koine Greek curriculum for 4th-6th grades, preferably an immersive/communicative approach. I have a friend who'd like to try this at Oak City Academy, in Raleigh, NC.
Whatever you do, they probably need to start with the picture series in Living Koine Greek. We've had kids below reading age work through the books with parents, and ten-year-olds do just fine.

disclaimer: I am author/publisher, but there is nothing like it for entering the language, really learning, and having fun.
Thomas Dolhanty

Post by Thomas Dolhanty »

RandallButh wrote:
Gregory Soderberg wrote:Can anyone recommend Koine Greek curriculum for 4th-6th grades, preferably an immersive/communicative approach. I have a friend who'd like to try this at Oak City Academy, in Raleigh, NC.
Whatever you do, they probably need to start with the picture series in Living Koine Greek. We've had kids below reading age work through the books with parents, and ten-year-olds do just fine.

disclaimer: I am author/publisher, but there is nothing like it for entering the language, really learning, and having fun.
Yes. That would be my first stop if I were your friend. I would also recommend viewing some of the Paul Nitz videos on Youtube to get some ideas about how to proactively involve the kids in the language they will glean from the Living Koine Greek series.
γράφω μαθεῖν
Louis L Sorenson

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

I have not vetted this curriculum, but you can find "Hey Andrew, Teach me some Greek!" at
http://www.greeknstuff.com/samplePDFpages-Greek.html. Bill Mounce has some Greek for Kids at http://www.kidsgreek.com/. Jordash Kiffiak's teachers manual for Buth's Living Koine Greek 1 (the picture book) could also be used for a 1st quarter class. I would add content such as learning about coins, the places of the countries (Buth 1, chapter 10) and other content. I would also add songs. (I have a number of kid's songs and Bible songs translated into Koine.Teach numbers also.

Blaine Ray has a book TPRS through Storytelling that talks about using stories to teach a L2 to children. There are many, many books for teaching elementary students spanish, but few that I can find for Greek. What do home schooler's use who are learning Greek? There must be some content already created.

Return to “Teaching and Learning Greek”