new edition of Clyde Pharr's "Homeric Greek"

Textbooks, Graded Readers, Beginner Resources and links, Teaching aids, etc.
Leonard Isaksson

new edition of Clyde Pharr's "Homeric Greek"

Post by Leonard Isaksson »

The University of Oklahoma Press has published a new edition of Clyde Pharr's "Homeric Greek", which came out in 2012.

Has anyone used this new edition, and how did you find it to be?

It is described as having fuller explanations of grammar in the first say 40 lessons, geared more to the needs of Americans (or anyone else) who is less familiar with grammar or has no knowledge of Latin.

I was not able to find many reviews, although Bryn Mawr has a review, which is written in Spanish, by one Alberto Bernabe, of the Universidad Complutense of Madrid. I do not have Spanish to comprehend it decently.

Thank you for any news on this book.
Leonard Isaksson

Re: new edition of Clyde Pharr's "Homeric Greek"

Post by Leonard Isaksson »

To answer my own question, the review at Bryn Mawr Classical Review may be read by clicking on the 'translate' link on one's browser. This review points out that there are fuller grammatical explanations, and that the paradigms are now up in front with the lessons. It is not necessary to go to the back half of the book, from the exercises to the grammar explanation, or to the paradigms any longer. That is handy. The illustrations are gone, as is the article "Homer and the study of Greek", it is reported(alas). The Greek font is reported by one reviewer to be easier to read, so that has been improved, it sounds like.

I still have not seen this book. Now I will be quiet.

Return to “Resources”