Greek Readers for attic

Textbooks, Graded Readers, Beginner Resources and links, Teaching aids, etc.
Michael Abernathy

Greek Readers for attic

Post by Michael Abernathy »

I just ran across several texts by Geoffrey Steadman at http://geoffreysteadman.com/. They can be downloaded from here or you can purchase a hard copy from Amazon. They include Plato's Symposium, Sophocles' Oedipus Tyrannus, Herodotus' Histories Book I, selections from Homer, and others. The readers have a glossary in the back but on the pages opposing the text the author includes the less common vocabulary with translation notes to help the beginner. Other aids found on the web site include flashcards and translation sheets. For those teaching Greek, he gives permission for you to use these as you see fit.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy
Stephen Hughes

Re: Greek Readers for attic

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Cursory review: His vocabulary and syntax notes are well set out on the page. I'm not sure if it is best practice for situational vocabulary to have a range of meanings for a word other than the one in the situation. The syntax / grammatical notes tend to leave the case relationships in the syntax up to the users intuition, and they assume a reasonable (2nd year) level mastery of grammatical terminology. On the whole it seems very professionally done.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

I used Herodotus and Homer for my advanced Greek classes at TAA, and his Caesar text for AP Latin. The books are actually print on demand, and one can get a free PDF of them as well. Dr. Steadman is also quite personable -- I emailed him several times to report errors (which he invites readers to do), mostly typos, but a couple of times what I thought were actual errors in the notes. He showed appreciation and made sure the corrections were included so that the next person to order a text wouldn't have to suffer from them...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

I am using Geoffrey Steadman for Soph. OT. We need more people like Geoffrey Steadman.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Thomas Dolhanty

Post by Thomas Dolhanty »

Michael Abernathy wrote:I just ran across several texts by Geoffrey Steadman at http://geoffreysteadman.com/. They can be downloaded from here or you can purchase a hard copy from Amazon. They include Plato's Symposium, Sophocles' Oedipus Tyrannus, Herodotus' Histories Book I, selections from Homer, and others.
This is a real treasure. Thank you for making it known.
γράφω μαθεῖν

Return to “Resources”