Thompson, F.E. A Syntax of Attic Greek

Textbooks, Graded Readers, Beginner Resources and links, Teaching aids, etc.
Paul-Nitz

Thompson, F.E. A Syntax of Attic Greek

Post by Paul-Nitz »

I did not find another mention of this book on B-Greek.
  • A Syntax of Attic Greek
    by F. E. Thompson, M.A.
    Late assistant master at Marlborough College
    Author of 'Homeric Grammar' 'Elementary Greek Syntax," Etc.
    New Impression
    Longmans, Green, and Co.
    39 Paternoster Row, London
    New York and Bombay
A.T. Robertson refers to this book in a description of the anaphoric οὗτος. I looked up Thompson's explanation of pronouns and like it quite a lot. I can't recommend the rest of it.

Free pdf download on Archive.org. If you like the nice old yellowed pages look, you can find it here. It is easier to read than the previous version, but it cannot be searched:
Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi
Paul-Nitz

Re: Thompson, F.E. A Syntax of Attic Greek

Post by Paul-Nitz »

I'm reading and enjoying Thompson's grammar. He also has a reduced version called An Elementary Greek Syntax. https://archive.org/details/anelementarygre00thomgoog

The thing I really like about Thompson is that he often flips things. Instead of the traditional grammar pattern of telling you the many ways you ought to translate this GREEK into ENGLISH, he comments about how this ENGLISH can be translated into GREEK. It's like a basic grammar with composition notes.

I've culled more tips on communicating in Ancient Greek from him than many other grammars.

Below are images showing two examples. I just love the first example. It was many moons before it occurred to me that μη + the Aorist Imperative just doesn't make sense, and likewise μη + the Present Subjunctive. His comment about μη + the 3rd Person AORIST Imperative is intriguing. Could it be that the 3rd Pers Present Imperative was just so rarely used that it slipped in? But, that's minutia.

The main point is, this is striking me as a very useful grammar. Maybe someone can do an OCR on this book (especially the Syntax of Attic Greek book) and make it more accessible to us.

Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi
Shirley Rollinson

Re: Thompson, F.E. A Syntax of Attic Greek

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Paul-Nitz wrote:I'm reading and enjoying Thompson's grammar. He also has a reduced version called An Elementary Greek Syntax. https://archive.org/details/anelementarygre00thomgoog

The thing I really like about Thompson is that he often flips things. Instead of the traditional grammar pattern of telling you the many ways you ought to translate this GREEK into ENGLISH, he comments about how this ENGLISH can be translated into GREEK. It's like a basic grammar with composition notes.

- - - snip snip - - -
The main point is, this is striking me as a very useful grammar. Maybe someone can do an OCR on this book (especially the Syntax of Attic Greek book) and make it more accessible to us.
One can download a .pdf file from the above site.
Or if that's a problem, I can send one.

Return to “Resources”