Most Commonly Used Beginning Greek Grammars?

Textbooks, Graded Readers, Beginner Resources and links, Teaching aids, etc.
EricSowell

Most Commonly Used Beginning Greek Grammars?

Post by EricSowell »

Anyone have thoughts on what are the most commonly used beginning Greek grammars these days, for biblical and general classical? Back in my day (about 15 years ago) Mounce was probably the most popular for biblical but I don't know if that's the case now and I have no idea for classical. Thoughts anyone?
Stephen Carlson

Re: Most Commonly Used Beginning Greek Grammars?

Post by Stephen Carlson »

EricSowell wrote:Anyone have thoughts on what are the most commonly used beginning Greek grammars these days, for biblical and general classical? Back in my day (about 15 years ago) Mounce was probably the most popular for biblical but I don't know if that's the case now and I have no idea for classical. Thoughts anyone?
Mounce is still very popular in seminaries. Croy seems popular in more mainline schools. I've taught with both.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Louis L Sorenson

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

I believe one of the US association of classical groups keeps book statistics for both classical and NT Greek textbooks. That would be the place to start.
EricSowell

Post by EricSowell »

Thanks to both of you. I'll see if I can find those statistics.
Louis L Sorenson

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

One publication that talked about Greek textbooks is no longer published, the publication Classical World. It seems this publication ended in 2009, but see http://caas-cw.org/wp/ for further links - not sure these are the same sites. Here is a link to some of the Classical World publications: http://muse.jhu.edu/results?searchtype= ... s=&x=0&y=0. JSTOR has access to these publications. There may be a better place to ask these questions like as Textkit.com. I remember seeing sales of individual textbooks in a Greek journal several years ago -- and that is what you are looking for. I'll keep poking around in the periodicals and book sales and see what I can find.

What textbooks are sold most and are used in schools mosts is something I would also like to know. (These are not the same statistics). We all assume that in NT colleges and seminaries, Mounce and Croy are the two most sold texts in the US and Canada. In France, they use Wenham. Britain I assume has a different grammar that is used for NT. Most likely, European NT schools use different books than US NT schools. But books sales by publishers is considered proprietary information. Sales statistics is not something most publishers want everyone to know. Amazon may have some book sale numbers (frequently ranked). So there are ways around the blockade. Perhaps one of our B-Greek publisher friends will give us some tips. We can only hope.

A clarification: Should we be talking about "Commonly Used Beginning NT Greek Grammars" or "Commonly Used Beginning Hellenistic Greek Grammars" or "Commonly Used Beginning Classical (Attic) Greek Grammars" or all beginning grammars (called Primers) in general?
EricSowell

Post by EricSowell »

I made the assumption that the number of people learning on general hellenistic Greek primers is going to be quite a bit lower than biblical or classical/attic primers. Perhaps I'm wrong on that but I'm guessing not. I am curious about those numbers as well though.

Return to “Resources”