Simple question on the 28th Nestle-Aland Greek NT

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
LIsaksson

Simple question on the 28th Nestle-Aland Greek NT

Post by LIsaksson »

I see where the 28th edition of the NA Greek NT is out, or soon will be. Is the text and apparatus for this NT in Greek the same, regardless of whether it has the text alone, or the Newman lexicon or the English translations with it? I prefer to read the Greek NT, or endeavour to, just looking at the NT text. However, I am curious about this. I like to use either Souter's little dictionary, or one of the Liddell's or an old Feyerabend(with the Souter's, the size of these smaller lexicons are desirable.
Leonard Isaksson
Stephen Carlson

Re: Simple question on the 28th Nestle-Aland Greek NT

Post by Stephen Carlson »

The apparatus has been updated throughout the NT, but only in the Catholic Epistles has the text changed.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
LIsaksson

Post by LIsaksson »

On the advertisement I have from GBS/Hendrickson's I see where there is a new major edition of the Catholic epistles, and so there would be changes in the NA text. I wondered whether there were any other changes to the text. I also wondered whether the apparatus, in the book with the English translations beside the text, was the same as the NT text alone, or if it was shortened. When I read in the NT, being that I am not at a high reading level, but rather must look up things either in a lexicon, or also Zerwick, I like to use the Grk. NT, with no reading edition, and see what I can comprehend, then either use the lexicon, or if I am not figuring out the lexical form, then to use Zerwick. Then I can go use an English translation if I desire to.

However, I do like the REB, and I don't have an NRSV. Professor Danker liked to recommend that a person take the RSV and the NRSV, as an exercise in learning, and see what the translation of each was, comparing it with the Greek text. He was good that way, in giving a person something as an exercise in learning, in his books, for one. He felt that the NRSV was better than the RSV.

I have been also wondering who the editorial team for the NA text is nowadays, since Bruce Metzger and Kurt Aland have passed on to God's courts.
Leonard Isaksson
ed krentz

Post by ed krentz »

Here is a response about Aland ed 28.

1. The new addition adds the readings of Papyri 117-128.
2. The apparatus now omits all conjectures--though with some reluctance.
3. The text of the catholic epistles has been revised on the basis of the Editio critica maiora, i.e. the 28th ed. here is now the editio minor.
4. The marginal apparatus of references has been revised.
5. The critical apparatus has been somewhat simplified. Witnesses of the first and second order are no longer distinguished. The note pauci and alii in the apparatus have been abandoned.

Thus there are a number of changes, but don't throw away your 27th ed.

Ed Krentz
Edgar Krentz
Prof. Emeritus of NT
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago

Return to “Books”