Buying out someone's Library, which volumes should I take?

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Austin Dixon

Buying out someone's Library, which volumes should I take?

Post by Austin Dixon »

I am building up my greek library. I have the opportunity to buy these titles from someone I know's library. Which would you get?

Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament by Louw and Nida (2 Volume set) - $70

Concordance to the Greek Testament by Moulton and Geden – $10

A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature by Walter Bauer – Second Edition Revised and Augmented by F. W. Gingrich and Fredrick Danker - $30

The NKJV Greek English Interlinear New Testament - $40

Greek-English Lexicon by Liddell and Scott (the Abridged version) – $25

New Testament Greek for Beginners by Machen – $10

Essentials of New Testament Greek by Ray Summers - $8

Greek New Testament and Dictionary Edited by Kurt Aland, Matthey Black, Carlo Martini, Bruce Metzger, and Allen Wikgren - $15

A Grammatical Analysis of the Greek New Testament by Max Zerwick S.J. and Mary Grosenor - $55
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: Buying out someone's Library, which volumes should I tak

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

PM sent.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Revelations 22:13
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Thomas Dolhanty

Post by Thomas Dolhanty »

A Grammatical Analysis of the Greek New Testament by Max Zerwick S.J. and Mary Grosenor - $55
This one - if it is the imitation leather one in very good condition. The hardcover you can get new for $49.
γράφω μαθεῖν
Eeli Kaikkonen

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Austin Dixon wrote:I am building up my greek library. I have the opportunity to buy these titles from someone I know's library. Which would you get?
Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament by Louw and Nida (2 Volume set) - $70
A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature by Walter Bauer – Second Edition Revised and Augmented by F. W. Gingrich and Fredrick Danker - $30
Good dictionaries. Definitely yes. Neither of them is freely available electronically.

Greek-English Lexicon by Liddell and Scott (the Abridged version) – $25
No need for that, I think it's freely available electronically and it's better for beginning Classical students than for Koine or serious Classical study.

Concordance to the Greek Testament by Moulton and Geden – $10
Superseded by any free electronic resource, which are many. Unless you happen to like using paper version.

The NKJV Greek English Interlinear New Testament - $40
Never. Or buy it and burn it - seeing it burn is worth $40.

New Testament Greek for Beginners by Machen – $10
Essentials of New Testament Greek by Ray Summers - $8
No need, if you're not going to read them through to learn basics of Koine.

Greek New Testament and Dictionary Edited by Kurt Aland, Matthey Black, Carlo Martini, Bruce Metzger, and Allen Wikgren - $15
N/A 26th edition is still useful - is this the UBS edition?

Preview available in Google Books - looks like a Reader's lexicon and grammatical key. I think a Reader's Greek NT (Zondervan or UBS) might be better for a reader. Grammatical analysis in general can be found in any free electronic resource.
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

I agree with Eeli. I should just add that the nice thing about Bible software is that they provide the function of concordances and analytic dictionaries much more conveniently than do the paper editions.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
Austin Dixon wrote:I am building up my greek library. I have the opportunity to buy these titles from someone I know's library. Which would you get?

N/A 26th edition is still useful - is this the UBS edition?

Preview available in Google Books - looks like a Reader's lexicon and grammatical key. I think a Reader's Greek NT (Zondervan or UBS) might be better for a reader. Grammatical analysis in general can be found in any free electronic resource.
The GNT + Dictionary seems to be a good price - and it is very useful to have a dictionary bound in the back of a GNT when reading. Also - this dictionary includes forms of some of the irregular verbs, aorists, etc. which ordinary dictionaries often don't list.
You might check the price for copies of Zerwick and Grosvenor on Amazon - I think this asking price is pretty near its new price. Mary Grosvenor's notes go quite a bit further than just "grammatical analysis" - she sometimes gives nice little etymological insights and other notes. So if this price compares well with Amazon, I'd get it.

Return to “Books”