Ἀσπαζόμαι καὶ ἐρωτῶ ὑμᾶς περὶ τοῦ βίβλου τοῦ Ῥικώς

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Jonathan Alexander

Ἀσπαζόμαι καὶ ἐρωτῶ ὑμᾶς περὶ τοῦ βίβλου τοῦ Ῥικώς

Post by Jonathan Alexander »

Χαῖρετε εἰς αἰώνα ἅπαντες,

My name is Jonathan, I live in Israel, and I've been studying Greek and Latin for about a year now on my own, and reading this forum and Textkit is my main distraction from those studies.

I would like to ask those of you who have copies of Christophe Rico's Polis textbook, how useful is it for improving fluency when I've got some Greek under my belt already? (I have read the Iliad over the course of last August through February, Plato's Euthyphro, Apology, and Criton, the first four books of Xenophon's Anabasis, and the first 2.5 of Thucydides (though I can't say I got more than the gist of anything that damnable Pericles said, and currently starting Book 4 of Josephus's Jewish War)

Also, how does it compare to Randall Buth's stuff? (which all told amounts to over double the price of Rico's)

Ἡ χάρις καὶ ἡ εἰρήνη μεθ' ὑμῶν εἶεν συνεχῶς.
ἀνδρῶν γὰρ ἐπιφανῶν πᾶσα γῆ τάφος - Περικλής
Stephen Hughes

Re: Ἀσπαζόμαι καὶ ἐρωτῶ ὑμᾶς περὶ τοῦ βίβλου τοῦ Ῥικώς

Post by Stephen Hughes »

There are differet skills that can be developed to help with different fluencies. fluency in reading or even specifically reading aloud requires specific training or strategies. Reading for comprehension of the flow of a passage is a little different to picturing the context within which the main action takes place. Fluent composition requires literary and retorical skills beyond just language. Listening, if that could be termed fluent, is a lot more complex than just hearing clearly.

What do you have in mind in asking this?
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “Books”