Feedback on criteria for posting books here

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Matthew Longhorn

Re: Feedback on criteria for posting books here

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

S Walch wrote: December 8th, 2023, 11:03 am My only comment would be could we see more book recommendations that are under a £50 price tag :D
Hey, I posted an open access one recently!
But yes… I wish I were finding more on the lower end also
Devenios Doulenios

Post by Devenios Doulenios »

Hear, Hear! Amen!
Dewayne Dulaney
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

"Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου."--Διδαχή Α, α'
Devenios Doulenios

Open access is great also. Matthew, refresh my memory please: which open access one did you post about recently?
Dewayne Dulaney
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος

Matthew Longhorn

Devenios Doulenios wrote: December 8th, 2023, 12:02 pm pen access is great also. Matthew, refresh my memory please: which open access one did you post about recently?
Muraoka's new book on The Wisdom of Ben Sira
https://www.peeters-leuven.be/pdf/9789042949157.pdf
S Walch

Re: Feedback on criteria for posting books here (update S Walch)

Post by S Walch »

Perhaps it would be good to have one topic per book price range?

So an open access topic to post new open-access books on; a topic for those books under £/$/€100; a topic for those books over £/$/€100?

Updates on the topics would still show (plus you can put a new subject title in, and it'll appear in the same topic), and discussion on any of the books could then produce their own topic by whoever wants to talk about said book?
Devenios Doulenios

Thanks, Matthew. As I am interested in Ben Sira (Am planning on returning to reading him next year, after reading the first 11 chapters awhile back), this should be a helpful resource. While Muraoka's work is outstanding, his for purchase volumes are normally outside my budget.
Dewayne Dulaney
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος

Matthew Longhorn

Re: Feedback on criteria for posting books here (update S Walch)

S Walch wrote: December 8th, 2023, 1:19 pm Perhaps it would be good to have one topic per book price range?

So an open access topic to post new open-access books on; a topic for those books under £/$/€100; a topic for those books over £/$/€100?

Updates on the topics would still show (plus you can put a new subject title in, and it'll appear in the same topic), and discussion on any of the books could then produce their own topic by whoever wants to talk about said book?
I am not totally sure that this would work. I can't edit the title of a post after a while subsequent to posting it, and also it might make it harder for people to find things they are interested in.
I will try to post the lowest price of a book in the title of each post to make it easier to filter posts you aren't interested in though
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Many of these books haven't been published yet, and I always forget about them. We need some follow up when they're out.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Matthew Longhorn

Stephen Carlson wrote: December 13th, 2023, 7:08 pm Many of these books haven't been published yet, and I always forget about them. We need some follow up when they're out.
I do try to post an update when they are out
Matthew Longhorn

Ok, another question. I regularly come across books that are not Koine Greek but will be classical or byzantine, or may just be not be related to biblical matters. If I put these in the "other" category would these be appropriate for here? I could prefix with CG or BG to make clear in the title. For me these will be of interest, but then I am weird.
an example is this upcoming book https://cart.sbl-site.org/books/061658C
The Life of Aesop the Philosopher, an anonymous Greek literary work, presents one version of the novelistic biography of Aesop, which dates to the fourth to fifth century CE. In this volume, Grammatiki A. Karla offers an extended introduction to the Life of Aesop in general, the history of the textual tradition, and the MORN manuscript family and its relationship to other versions and papyrus fragments. She then presents a new edition of the late antique version (MORN) alongside David Konstan’s English translation. A commentary addresses editorial choices and focuses on words and phrases that are of interest for the history of the Greek language.

Return to “Books”