Feedback on criteria for posting books here

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Matthew Longhorn

Feedback on criteria for posting books here

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Open question to folk.
Obviously I post a lot of books here, but it would be good to get feedback on what is appropriate.

My basic criteria is:
1. Is it something that I think would contribute to someone's understanding of post-classical Greek. The recent book I just posted on the meaning of Βασιλεία is an example. The question of what level of understanding people want here is of interest to me. Increasing understanding could be as low as the level of an absolute beginner intro to pronunciation, right up to major works such as Kantor's and advanced lexicons and grammars
2. Is it something that would increase the range of Greek texts that someone can access e.g. via newer editions or first publication, or interesting arrangement . My recent post on the text in Origen is an example
3. Is it something that might be of interest to people related to the history and development of the language, even if not koine greek per se

Many books are going to be out of the acceptable price range of almost everyone here e.g. pretty much anything from Brill. Are these still useful for me to post? While not something people might buy, they might still try to hunt from a library

Any additions / modifications to these criteria people can provide to guide me so that the board doesn't become spammed by me (more than it is?) would be appreciated
mikeatnip

Re: Feedback on criteria for posting books here

Post by mikeatnip »

My two-cent opinion is that any post you make is likely to be valuable to someone, as a broad range of people visit this site, from the mere beginners, to the intermediates, to the seasoned academic. Although I do not look at each post you make (the subject line usually gives me enough information to inform me if the book is of interest to me), I have no issue with you posting them. As far as cost, yeah, many of these are not books that you are going to buy just to adorn your bookshelf. But, for example, I have access to Brill where I can read many of their books for free. And while most of us cannot afford to buy every book, we may be able to get an occasional one.
So from my perspective, keep up doing what you are doing.
Mike Atnip
May I not debate presumptuously; may I not be silent impudently. May I learn beneficial speech; may I acquire discerning silence. -Ephrem the Syrian
Matthew Longhorn

Thanks Mike, useful to know that keeping them as individual posts rather than something like a weekly post is helpful. I thought seeing the titles may let people only look at what they are interested in, so good to know that is the case.
Devenios Doulenios

Post by Devenios Doulenios »

I second what Mike said, Matthew. Even though I normally don't have the means to buy them, it's useful to know about the titles. I may get to see them in a library at some point.

Mike, you mentioned that you have free access to read the Brill titles. Is that through an academic institution, or by subscription?
Dewayne Dulaney
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

"Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου."--Διδαχή Α, α'
mikeatnip

Post by mikeatnip »

Devenios Doulenios wrote: November 17th, 2023, 10:57 am I second what Mike said, Matthew. Even though I normally don't have the means to buy them, it's useful to know about the titles. I may get to see them in a library at some point.

Mike, you mentioned that you have free access to read the Brill titles. Is that through an academic institution, or by subscription?
Through Wikipedia Library, of all places. To qualify you have to have made 500 edits and keep it active by 10 edits/month. To put it bluntly, I think my eyes almost bulge sometimes when I can download a pdf copy of a book listed for over $100. I do try not to take advantage of the access. I assume the point is that if I am editing a Wikipedia page and make a citation to a Brill (or about 100 other academic sites) book, then Brill ultimately gets more out of it than what it may lose by giving free access (although Wikipedia may pay them, I don't know) because maybe 10 or 100 people eventually buy the book because it got cited as a source.
Mike Atnip
May I not debate presumptuously; may I not be silent impudently. May I learn beneficial speech; may I acquire discerning silence. -Ephrem the Syrian
Matthew Longhorn

mikeatnip wrote: November 18th, 2023, 9:36 am Through Wikipedia Library, of all places. To qualify you have to have made 500 edits and keep it active by 10 edits/month.
I would love to see the puzzled expression of the folk over there when suddenly an influx of Greek related changes start getting made following this post
Matthew Longhorn

Another question re. criteria. Some books strongly suggest that they will be focussing on or dealing with Greek, and not just being translations, but aren't explicit at the time I come across them. Should I wait to post these, and possibly forget that I haven't by the time the full description becomes available?
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

I think it'd be best to err on the generous side. More books, better!
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

MAubrey wrote: December 7th, 2023, 10:36 am I think it'd be best to err on the generous side. More books, better!
I’m with Mike!! More books! Keep ’em coming!
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
S Walch

Post by S Walch »

My only comment would be could we see more book recommendations that are under a £50 price tag :D

Return to “Books”