Analytical lexicon inquiry (physical book)

Devenios Doulenios

Re: Analytical lexicon inquiry (physical book)

Post by Devenios Doulenios »

That sounds like a really helpful work! Do you know yet which electronic formats it will be available in?
Dewayne Dulaney
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

"Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου."--Διδαχή Α, α'
Alan Bunning

Post by Alan Bunning »

Devenios Doulenios wrote: June 14th, 2023, 9:52 am That sounds like a really helpful work! Do you know yet which electronic formats it will be available in?
I will probable first make a pdf, and then decide on which electronic formats will best suit it. Maybe json or just a txt file.
Alan Bunning

Post by Alan Bunning »

Here is my first cut towards my “Analytical Lexicon/Concordance of the New Testament”. There are other analytical lexicons and other concordances, but I don’t know of any resource that combines the two. It is also unique in that it is not limited to just one critical text, but contains the words from all the major critical texts and manuscripts. It also has a parsing system that is more detailed than the others. And best of all, when it is ready, it will be free and released under an open license.

I still have to write an introduction for it, but you can probably figure out the format. The superscript shows where a word is singular at a particular location in a manuscript (thus the reader will know not to waste time trying to find it in a critical text). I have attached the first part of it and am looking for feedback. One thing I am wondering is if it is too detailed. Any comments?
analytical.pdf
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 127 times
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Alan Bunning wrote: August 8th, 2023, 9:03 am I have attached the first part of it and am looking for feedback. One thing I am wondering is if it is too detailed. Any comments?
analytical.pdf
Very impressive! I'd note that typically verse lists use a semicolon when the chapter changes.
SBL Handbook of Style wrote:In biblical references, a colon normally separates chapters and verses, a comma and a letter
space separate verse designations within a chapter, and a semicolon followed by a letter space
separates references to different chapters (or chapters and verses). Thus: Isa 1:8; 5:1-7, 10;
Jer 2:21
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Devenios Doulenios

Post by Devenios Doulenios »

I like it, and will look forward to using it. Do you have a website? I'd be happy to include a link to it on my blog's Resources page.

Maybe your next project can be an analytical lexicon/concordance covering the Septuagint and Apostolic Fathers. That would be very useful as well.
Dewayne Dulaney
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

"Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου."--Διδαχή Α, α'
Alan Bunning

Post by Alan Bunning »

Devenios Doulenios wrote: August 8th, 2023, 1:33 pm I like it, and will look forward to using it. Do you have a website? I'd be happy to include a link to it on my blog's Resources page.
https://greekcntr.org/
Jean Putmans

Post by Jean Putmans »

It‘s great!

I often use the „Analytical Greek Lexicon“ of Bagster and the „Analytical Lexicon to the Septuagint“ (Taylor). Yours has the advantage being an Index with all instances of the form, even the forms are split, when the instances have different gender (γενομενων).

I don‘t think, you are over-detailing.

The only analytical lexicon/dictionary covering LXX/NT I know of, is the Greek-Dutch Dictionary of Johan Murre: Disadvantage for English-speakers: it is in dutch!

I am looking forward to the complete work.

Jean
Jean Putmans
Netherlands
gotischebibel.blogspot.com

Return to “Lexicons”