Textbooks (Introductory, Secondary) and Reference Grammars

cwconrad

Textbooks (Introductory, Secondary) and Reference Grammars

Post by cwconrad »

I think we ought to make a distinction between
(a) those instructional works that we ordinarily call "textbooks" or even "primers" but perhaps including "intermediate" or "second-year" textbooks. We ought also to distinguish Biblical Koine textbooks from Classical Attic or Homeric textbooks.
Among the Biblical textbooks I would include Funk and Goetchius, Machen, Mounce, Croy, etc.
Among the Classicall Attic textbooks I would include Athenaze, JACT Reading Greek, Chase & Phillips, Crosby & Sheaffer, Mastronarde, Hansen & Quinn, etc.
Among the Homeric textbooks, I would include Clyde Pharr and Benner's Selections from the Iliad.

(b) reference grammars that are to be consulted in the process of exploring particular questions, especially morphological and syntactical, arising in reading or research
Here I would include especially H.W. Smyth's Greek Grammar, Blass-Debrunner-Funk (BDF),A.T. Robertson, Wallace (GGBB), Brooks & Winbery, etc.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
mwpalmer

Re: Textbooks (Introductory, Secondary) and Reference Gramma

Post by mwpalmer »

Should we start a separate thread for discussing introductory/intermediate grammars and reference grammars? They do address very different needs.
Micheal W. Palmer
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Sure - go for it!
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
mwpalmer

Post by mwpalmer »

Jonathan Robie wrote:Sure - go for it!
I would love to do that, but I can't find the way to do it. How do I create a new forum with the name "Beginning and Intermediate Grammars"? Better said, how do I split this forum into two with the titles "Beginning and Intermediate Grammars" and "Reference Grammars"?
Micheal W. Palmer
Louis L Sorenson

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

Beginning grammars have their own topic in the Teaching and Learning forum. We could create a separate two subforums under Grammars. Is that what we need? We don't really want to reduplicate content. But the most intuitive organization would be best.
mwpalmer

Post by mwpalmer »

Perhaps both topics should be addressed there, with a link from the Books forum.
Micheal W. Palmer

Return to “Grammars”