Pictures, images, illustrations?

Eeli Kaikkonen

Pictures, images, illustrations?

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

There must be some good source for pictures, visual representations of artifacts, clothes, buildings etc. for the NT, especially gospels. Something which could be used as a model for drawings (for "living koine" kind of resources). I don't want a book about archeology with b&w photos of ruins, or a dictionary with a photo on every other page, or a collection of 19th century Bible illustrations. Just the real thing, relatively realistic pictures.
Stephen Hughes

Movies?

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Several films have been made about NT figures. You could screenshot a frame that you like and use that as the basis for your drawing. There are various stickfigure and other gif creation programs available if you want to amimate. You could search under resources for teachers for them.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Eeli Kaikkonen

Re: Movies?

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Stephen Hughes wrote:Several films have been made about NT figures. You could screenshot a frame that you like and use that as the basis for your drawing.
That came to my mind. But it's a bit difficult to use as a "handbook", e.g. if you need something specific or some "semantic domain". The films have only the props for each scene and it doesn't always correlate with even the same scene in another interpretation.

Besides that -- book is always a book :)
Shirley Rollinson

Re: Pictures, images, illustrations?

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:There must be some good source for pictures, visual representations of artifacts, clothes, buildings etc. for the NT, especially gospels. Something which could be used as a model for drawings (for "living koine" kind of resources). I don't want a book about archeology with b&w photos of ruins, or a dictionary with a photo on every other page, or a collection of 19th century Bible illustrations. Just the real thing, relatively realistic pictures.
You might try some of the children's "Bible Coloring Book" type of cheap paper-back books
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:There must be some good source for pictures, visual representations of artifacts, clothes, buildings etc. for the NT, especially gospels. Something which could be used as a model for drawings (for "living koine" kind of resources). I don't want a book about archeology with b&w photos of ruins, or a dictionary with a photo on every other page, or a collection of 19th century Bible illustrations. Just the real thing, relatively realistic pictures.
Do a GoodSearch (http://www.goodsearch.com - donates to charity of your choice whenever you do a search - uses Google technology), searching images and using keywords "bible story" - up come loads of pictures
Stephen Hughes

Activating prior knowledge by context

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:Besides that -- book is always a book
Perhaps only 300 NT words are easy to illustrate unambiguously.

I suggest that you put the objects you want to illustrate into soft-focus backgrounds. I mean like in a photo taken with f2.0. Context seems activate the students' prior knowledge whereas a white background doesn't. I've watched people phaze out the background by encircling something first.pp

It a lot cheaper to present images digitally than on paper. Royalty-free images are available on some sites.
Eeli Kaikkonen

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Shirley Rollinson wrote:
Do a GoodSearch (http://www.goodsearch.com - donates to charity of your choice whenever you do a search - uses Google technology), searching images and using keywords "bible story" - up come loads of pictures
There's the same problem than with movies - it's difficult to find what you are actually looking for. And it's difficult to know whether they are themselves based on first, second, third or fourth hand research. Maybe it would be okay to find a source which is known to be based on good sources. But it should be easy to use.

The problem with "illustrated Bible dictionaries" or "pictorial encyclopedias" is that they are not very pictorial or illustrated. On the other hand, maybe I would be willing to sacrifice some euros for a good general academic handbook, if I just knew which one has good coverage for relevant pictures. It's disappointing to see (usually b&w) photos of ancient (usually broken) artifacts which usually aren't even the artifacts themselves but e.g. reliefs depicting events or artifacts. Or at worst just modern pictures. One example which I found had a close-up photo of a bear. Probably from some zoo. Who needs that in a Bible dictionary? I can find tons of photos of bears if I need them.
Eeli Kaikkonen

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Let me give some examples.

Jesus tells many parables using ordinary events.

"Πάλιν ὁμοία ἐστὶν ἡ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν σαγήνῃ βληθείσῃ εἰς τὴν θάλασσαν καὶ ἐκ παντὸς γένους συναγαγούσῃ·" (Matt. 13:47)
"Ἄλλην παραβολὴν ἀκούσατε. Ἄνθρωπος ἦν οἰκοδεσπότης ὅστις ἐφύτευσεν ἀμπελῶνα καὶ φραγμὸν αὐτῷ περιέθηκεν καὶ ὤρυξεν ἐν αὐτῷ ληνὸν καὶ ᾠκοδόμησεν πύργον, καὶ ἐξέδετο αὐτὸν γεωργοῖς, καὶ ἀπεδήμησεν." (Matt. 21:33)

How would these be illustrated? How could I find sources for these kind of things? I believe not many of them are filmed in Jesus movies.
Stephen Hughes

Net casting scene + Rome

Post by Stephen Hughes »

There is a net casting scene in the movie Peter, where the fishermen are asked to let down the net on the other side of the boat.

The two seasons of Rome contain many day-to-day activities - I think that's a BBC production.

Return to “History, Culture, and Background”