GraecaII Keyboard Layout?

Bible Study software, Unicode, Fonts, Keyboards, creating Web pages in Greek, and other software issues.
timothylfox

GraecaII Keyboard Layout?

Post by timothylfox »

Hi,

Does anyone know where I could find a pre-made Keyboard Layout for OS X of the legacy font GraecaII? A friend learned to type in Graeca (Laser Greek encoding, I think) and doesn't want to re-learn how to type with the Mac Unicode keyboard. I know that I can create a keyboard using SIL's Ukulele, but figured I'd ask before I spend time making it.

Thanks
Tim
PhD Student
University of St Andrews
Jonathan Robie

Re: GraecaII Keyboard Layout?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Silence may be your answer ... I don't know of such a beast.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

I would strongly advise against a keyboard layout that does not follow the Greek typewriter as the base. (AKA: Greek National Keyboard).
A special keyboard sends the wrong subliminal message to students and users of Greek, that "NT Greek" is somehow separate from the rest of the language. Of course, between monotonic and polytonic, the polytonic version is the correct one. Yes, there are a couple of differences between the Mac and PC versions of polytonic concerning forms with double diacritics, but these are close and managable, MAC allows triple keystrokes, PC uses single key assignments for composites.

For Accordance users, the preferences can be set to the Greek National Keyboard, thank you, Roy and Helen.

PS: I believe that acute accent is now ";". The old distinction between polytonic acute "q" and monotonic acute ";" has been discouraged in current unicode. Those more in the know may comment.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I agree with Randall. If you want to learn how to type polytonic Greek, you should use a keyboard that can be found on more than one computer. Learning to use the standard keyboard probably isn't any more work than defining a new one.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Let me affirm the points both Randall and Jonathan made. I highly recommend taking the time to learn the standard polytonic Greek keyboard layout, for the reasons they already stated. It's really not that hard.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Without disagree with the previous statements, I think that adding the accent after the letter is more intuitive than what the standard layout provides for.

The hardest and ultimately most rewarding keyboard layout I learnt was Cadmus, , every formed character with a different keystroke.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Stephen Hughes wrote:Without disagree with the previous statements, I think that adding the accent after the letter is more intuitive than what the standard layout provides for.

The hardest and ultimately most rewarding keyboard layout I learnt was Cadmus, , every formed character with a different keystroke.
Cadmus it was, according to tradition, who first wrote Greek in Phoenician characters. A hard act to follow. It's not that many years ago that we had to write Greek in Latin characters; it's good those days are past.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
timothylfox

Post by timothylfox »

For future generations who stumble across this post looking for a Graeca keyboard....I've made one in Ukelele. Be sure to change the file extension from .pdf to .keylayout

Tim
Attachments
Graeca II.pdf
(46.06 KiB) Downloaded 263 times

Return to “Software”