Map of Roman Empire in Greek

Links to resources found on the Web, upcoming events, get-togethers, and other cool stuff that Greek lovers should know about.
nathaniel j. erickson

Map of Roman Empire in Greek

Post by nathaniel j. erickson » September 5th, 2020, 10:17 am

Check out this map of the Roman Empire in AD 117 with Greek names! I first saw it posted here.

It appears to be the work of this wikipedia contributor.

It appears to be a translation of this map.

I only checked a few of the names to verify that they were actually Ancient Greek names, not just Modern Greek. Can't speak for all of them. But, the ones I looked up in the lexicon are Ancient Greek and a few of the names are obviously different from those used on the maps in my Modern Greek Bible, so I'm guessing they are all Ancient Greek.

When I first saw Ἰβηρία listed over near the Black Sea I was surprised. Turns out, there were two regions called by that name:
Ἰ̆βηρία -ας, ἡ [Ἴβηρ] Iberia, region HDT. 1.163.1 (in Spain) PLUT. Pomp. 38.5 (on the Black Sea) etc. Ion. -ίη.

Pretty neat resource. I'll definitely be using it in the future.
0 x

Nathaniel J. Erickson
NT PhD candidate, ABD
Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
ntgreeketal.com
ὅπου πλείων κόπος, πολὺ κέρδος
ΠΡΟΣ ΠΟΛΥΚΑΡΠΟΝ ΙΓΝΑΤΙΟΣ

Shirley Rollinson

Re: Map of Roman Empire in Greek

Post by Shirley Rollinson » September 6th, 2020, 11:15 am

nathaniel j. erickson wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 10:17 am
Check out this map of the Roman Empire in AD 117 with Greek names! I first saw it posted here.

It appears to be the work of this wikipedia contributor.

It appears to be a translation of this map.

I only checked a few of the names to verify that they were actually Ancient Greek names, not just Modern Greek. Can't speak for all of them. But, the ones I looked up in the lexicon are Ancient Greek and a few of the names are obviously different from those used on the maps in my Modern Greek Bible, so I'm guessing they are all Ancient Greek.

When I first saw Ἰβηρία listed over near the Black Sea I was surprised. Turns out, there were two regions called by that name:
Ἰ̆βηρία -ας, ἡ [Ἴβηρ] Iberia, region HDT. 1.163.1 (in Spain) PLUT. Pomp. 38.5 (on the Black Sea) etc. Ion. -ίη.

Pretty neat resource. I'll definitely be using it in the future.
The author missed re-naming Cyprus, but I don't know how to contact him/her to say so.
0 x

Seumas Macdonald

Re: Map of Roman Empire in Greek

Post by Seumas Macdonald » September 8th, 2020, 6:32 am

I've contacted the author to tell them to fix Cyprus.

bedwere is a font of useful Greek materials, should be more widely known.
0 x

Return to “Cool Stuff”