I loaded several books onto my Sansa player so I can listen. I agree - he is expressive, and the speed is helpful. Here's one thing I don't like about modern pronunciation: it's difficult to distinguish pronouns like ὑμῖν / ἡμῖν, and I'd really like to hear these distinctions clearly.MAubrey wrote:I'd recommend: http://www.helding.net/greeklatinaudio/greek/Jonathan Robie wrote: Is there a similar free site that's this convenient for Greek?
What site(s) would you recommend for this, if I just want to click on something and listen, without much muss and fuss?
It's a Modern Greek pronunciation, but its quite good. Some have complained that its fast, but its best to work on learning comprehension at a normal rates of speech rather than slowed speech. The speed will be a benefit in the long run.
I've started working systematically through two books this way (because I have to work through these two books right now for other reasons - I'd rather be doing just one). I'm optimistic ... and I'm also enjoying the process.
Here's what I've been doing:
- Line out the text. I did this with a text editor, in plain text.
Code: Select all
05 Τούτους τοὺς δώδεκα ἀπέστειλεν ὁ Ἰησοῦς παραγγείλας αὐτοῖς λέγων, Εἰς ὁδὸν ἐθνῶν μὴ ἀπέλθητε, καὶ εἰς πόλιν Σαμαριτῶν μὴ εἰσέλθητε 06 πορεύεσθε δὲ μᾶλλον πρὸς τὰ πρόβατα τὰ ἀπολωλότα οἴκου Ἰσραήλ. 07 πορευόμενοι δὲ κηρύσσετε λέγοντες ὅτι ηγγικεν ἡ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν. 08 ἀσθενοῦντας θεραπεύετε, νεκροὺς ἐγείρετε, λεπροὺς καθαρίζετε, δαιμόνια ἐκβάλλετε δωρεὰν ἐλάβετε, δωρεὰν δότε. 09 Μὴ κτήσησθε χρυσὸν μηδὲ ἄργυρον μηδὲ χαλκὸν εἰς τὰς ζώνας ὑμῶν, 10 μὴ πήραν εἰς ὁδὸν μηδὲ δύο χιτῶνας μηδὲ ὑποδήματα μηδὲ ῥάβδον ἄξιος γὰρ ὁ ἐργάτης τῆς τροφῆς αὐτοῦ.
- Add a link to the corresponding chapter on greeklatinaudio.com. I simply added this line to the top of the file.
http://www.helding.net/greeklatinaudio/ ... mat10g.mp3
- Use laparola.net (http://www.laparola.net/greco/) to identify unfamiliar words or verb forms, adding them, indented, below the block of text where they occur. (Is there a way to create a link to a specific passage on laparola.net?)
Code: Select all
09 Μὴ κτήσησθε χρυσὸν μηδὲ ἄργυρον μηδὲ χαλκὸν εἰς τὰς ζώνας ὑμῶν, κτήσησθε = aor. mid. subj. κτάομαι = acquire
- Listen to the greeklatinaudio recording repeatedly, at first paying close attention to the text on a piece of paper, using the pause button as needed, until I can easily follow without looking at the paper.
- Repeat the process, adding chunks, one at a time, until I have an entire chapter covered, then listen to the chapter repeatedly. Then go on to the next chapter.