Off-topic

Anything related to Biblical Greek that doesn't fit into the other forums.
mcarmichael

Off-topic

Post by mcarmichael »

Where do off-topic topics go?

Is it necessarily a good idea to introduce them in the beginners forum?
cwconrad

Re: Off-topic

Post by cwconrad »

mcarmichael wrote:Where do off-topic topics go?

Is it necessarily a good idea to introduce them in the beginners forum?
What a question!!!! Do you perhaps mean, "Is it necessarily not a good idea to do that? Doesn't it pretty obviously depend on what the topic is? I guess, since the question seems to call for an answer (?), I'll suggest one:

Does it have anything to do with beginners in Greek or with the process of beginning Greek? If not, then don't put it there. Does it have anything to do with Biblical Greek at all, or with Greek language or texts at all, or with this forum of people with shared interests in Biblical Greek? If not, then don't post it. If it does, somehow tangentially, have something to do with these matters, then post it here,where you've posted your question. If not, then don't post it in this forum at all.

What I appreciate about the question is that it has been asked at all; quite a few posts -- especially, I think, by beginners -- have been posted rather haphazardly without much regard to the structure of the forum and its subforums. They're sort of like misshelved books in a library: they may actually be important, but if so, nobody will ever find them.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Jonathan Robie

Re: Off-topic

Post by Jonathan Robie »

If you are a beginner, they belong in the beginner's forum, assuming you fit the requirements for beginners as specified in our policy.

B-Greek does require Greek, an occasional off-topic post by someone who knows Greek or is actively learning Greek is fine.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Other”