Who is speaking or chairing at SBL 2015?

Anything related to Biblical Greek that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Jonathan Robie

Who is speaking or chairing at SBL 2015?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Speaking or chairing at SBL 2015? Let us know what you are speaking about, or what sessions you are chairing!

I will be chairing GERT's "Corpus-based Computing/Linguistics for Ancient Greek":
This year’s emphasis will be on “growing the corpus” of open data, including primary texts, metadata for morphology and syntax, semantic metadata, and other resources needed to consume them intelligently.
Micheal Palmer and I are speaking on the topic of "Systematically Generating Examples from a Syntactic Treebank for Internalizing Language".
This presentation is about systematically generating the materials needed to teach the Greek verb. The verb is particularly difficult for many Greek students to master, and difficult to teach. In keeping with best practices in research based language instruction, we argue that using authentic texts with appropriate scaffolding is essential to achieving reading competency. But finding optimal examples in large enough quantity to use in such instruction can be overwhelming.

We believe that intelligent use of a syntactic treebank can greatly simplify this process, creating teaching materials that can greatly improve mastery.

We generate a complete set of examples for each verb in the New Testament using XQuery and syntactic treebanks to illustrate the constituent patterns and morphology, starting with the most common uses of each verb, then less common uses. Teachers can select the examples they want to use, either for classroom instruction or computerized presentation. We also show how to convert these examples for use in existing software commonly used for language instruction and learning.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Carlson

Re: Who is speaking or chairing at SBL 2015?

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Nice work, Jonathan!

I'll be giving two papers:
  • "Creation and Head Coverings: Another Look at 1 Cor 11:15" for the Pauline Epistles section
  • "The Polysemy of Πάλιν" for the Biblical Lexicography section
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

My two papers are:
"Biblical Hebrew Verb Form Semantics" in Linguistics and Biblical Hebrew
In this paper I clarify the significance of verb form selection in Biblical Hebrew by determining the extent to which the semantic value of the Hebrew finite verb is temporal, aspectual, or modal in a selected corpus: the narrative beginning in 1 Samuel. Standard grammars claim Hebrew was aspect-prominent in the Biblical period, but my work on the verbal system of the Dead Sea Scrolls indicates this is not the case for Qumran Hebrew.
This study contributes to the resolution of the question of Biblical Hebrew verb form semantics by using the same method I applied to Qumran Hebrew: analyzing all the verbs in this narrative, using an empirical method of statistical correlation between form and meaning. I first produced a computer database of all the verbs in this corpus, tagged for formal features such as morphology, lexical aspect, and word order on one hand, and functions such as time reference, viewpoint aspect, and modality on the other. I then determined the strength of an association between each form and each function. Finally, I used the patterns found in the preceding analysis to evaluate conflicting proposed interpretations, by ascertaining which category (Tense, Aspect, or Modality) most probably accords with the Biblical Hebrew verbal system in this corpus.
In this paper I first introduce the problem of Hebrew tense and aspect, then outline relevant theoretical linguistics and major methodological issues, synthesize statistical trends from the database into hypotheses, and describe the results of applying these hypotheses to specific verbs in 1 Samuel 1-2.
and
"Faith in Greek Isaiah" in Greek Bible
Although the book of Isaiah is replete with the theme of faith (including trust, belief, and confidence), the way that theme is expressed in Greek Isaiah differs considerably from the way it is expressed in early Christian writings. In the New Testament, faith is normally spoken of using the root πιστεύω. But πιστεύω only appears 4 times in Isaiah, πιστός only 8 times, and πίστις does not appear at all. Instead, πεποιθώς is Greek Isaiah’s preferred way to speak of faith.
Given the centrality of faith in Christian theology, this paper describes how the earliest Christian commentators interpreted faith when they read of it in Isaiah. Specifically, it identifies the extent to which Origen, Eusebius, and their contemporaries interpreted this faith in Christian ways by recasting the idea in terms of Christian πίστις.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

My "Faith in Greek Isaiah" paper is scheduled for
11/24/2015
9:00 AM to 11:30 AM
Room: M109 (Marquis Level) - Marriott
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Seumas Macdonald

Post by Seumas Macdonald »

I'm presenting on, 'Is Basil a pro-Nicene Exegete?' in the Development of Early Christian Theology section
Seumas Macdonald, Ph.D.
Sydney, Australia

Return to “Other”