SBL 2015 Biblical Lexicography session

Anything related to Biblical Greek that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Stephen Carlson

SBL 2015 Biblical Lexicography session

Post by Stephen Carlson »

At the upcoming SBL, I'll be giving a paper called "The Polysemy of Πάλιν," where I look at the variety of meaning of this word in the New Testament, with special attention to its discourse uses.

By way of background, here's a paper on the adverb/particle in classical Greek by Antonio Revuelta Puigdollers: https://www.academia.edu/2018675/_2006_ ... E%B9%CE%BD
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Carlson

Re: SBL 2015 Biblical Lexicography session

My slides for the upcoming presentation have been uploaded to Academia.edu here: https://www.academia.edu/18617798/The_P ... E%B9%CE%BD
Melbourne, Australia
Tony Pope

Post by Tony Pope »

Very interesting, and thanks for posting the slides. I wish I could be at the meeting.

The examples in your §4 (Reframing πάλιν) seem to me to be open to alternative readings in which the πάλιν is preposed rather than postposed. I suppose you will discuss that possibility.

And John 18.33 in §5 is interesting as there are textual variants and one wonders what motivated them.
Stephen Carlson

Tony Pope wrote:Very interesting, and thanks for posting the slides. I wish I could be at the meeting.
Thanks for taking a look at them.
Tony Pope wrote:The examples in your §4 (Reframing πάλιν) seem to me to be open to alternative readings in which the πάλιν is preposed rather than postposed. I suppose you will discuss that possibility.
Yes, I will (in the full paper if not in the limited time at the session). It is a use of πάλιν that has been noticed for late classical Greek (Revuelta) and Byzantine Greek (Stoltic), and which I propose is also at play in Koine. There are only a few tokens of this use among the least classical writers in the NT, however.
Tony Pope wrote:And John 18.33 in §5 is interesting as there are textual variants and one wonders what motivated them.
Quite. The text of 19:9 is much more stable. The text critic in me thinks harmonization, but it's worth considering further.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Other”