Hullo!

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Stephen Yearl

Hullo!

Post by Stephen Yearl »

So, an introduction: my early education was in the life sciences, advanced degrees following from this in the history of medicine and science where I had little choice-- given my dissertation topic on how a certain snippet of Galenic anatomy preserved through the Latin tradition collided in Renaissance medical minds with newly recovered Greek knowledge from the Arabic world-- but to become familiar with Latin. Greek was held in relative abeyance until somewhat recently when it finally struck me that if I were ever to read the bible I should read it in its original languages; or, at the very least, endeavour to read ἡ καινὴ διαθήκη. My intended goals are:

1. ΚΔ
2. LXX
(3. OT in Hebrew)

I do not have religious motivations for doing this. Indeed, if asked, I would be hard-pressed to explain _why_ I feel the need to do so. If I am lucky, and get my three-score and ten, then I have roughly a decade for each goal.

I also used to do a bit of web programming in an former job, so I've sort of begun thinking about marshalling resources to aid in my study: koinē word of the day email, generating LaTeX flashcards from Strong's... that sort of thing. If anyone else does something similar I'd very much enjoy hearing about it.

St.
Stephen Hughes

Re: Hullo!

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Stephen Yearl wrote:I do not have religious motivations for doing this. Indeed, if asked, I would be hard-pressed to explain _why_ I feel the need to do so. If I am lucky, and get my three-score and ten, then I have roughly a decade for each goal.
Hi Stephen,
Motivation? It is over-rated if you ask me. Dedication and application are the better friends to have by your side in the long run. Don't think too much about "Why?", "How?" is a much more productive question to ponder. There are many approaches to Greek that you can try.
Stephen Yearl wrote:1. ΚΔ
2. LXX
The abbreviation for "LXX" (Latin numerals for 70) in Greek is Ο' (the Greek numeral for 70).
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Mason Barge

Re: Hullo!

Post by Mason Barge »

I actually started to do a Greek quiz in PHP/MySQL. I got as far as a functional framework with some general English vocabulary and theological terminology, although populating it was a bit of a chore. But I never did add the Greek, probably because my time is short and I didn't want to spend an hour figuring out how to do the encoding, whether or not I would have to supply a font in the CSS, etc.

http://dailyprayer.us/vocabulary_quiz/v ... _intro.php

Return to “Introductions”