χαίρετε

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Emma Ehrhardt

χαίρετε

Post by Emma Ehrhardt »

Hello everyone,

My name is Emma Ehrhardt. My language background includes a couple of years of Greek and Hebrew language study in undergrad. Over the past six months I've felt compelled to pick back up intentional study of Greek so I can do more than pick out a few words while reading along during lessons at church.

I thought to do a refresher by going through my elementary texts again, but those exercises are already filled out, and they're pretty redundant initially. Yet I needed more thorough review than is provided by intermediate readers. I picked up the JACT readers, and found encouragement there in the vocabulary repetition in the readings, and particularly in the grammar exercises which gave me practice in manipulating various forms. That was a nice change from the various 1st year books I had seen or used, whose exercises generally consist of: 1) parse this word, and 2) translate this long sentence, which depending on the book is either gibberish sentences with known vocab, or real NT sentences with too many OOV items.

So I began looking to make my own worksheets of grammar exercises (not just 'parse this'), and finding ways to get practice with known phrases pulled from the GNT. I've made some interesting progress with this, and at some point hope to share the results of that work more widely.

-Emma
Emma Ehrhardt
Computational Linguist
Jonathan Robie

Re: χαίρετε

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Greetings, Emma!

As you can probably tell, the NT Greek world really does need a lot more freely-available exercises that require thinking in Greek the right way, so I'm very interested in what you have to share here.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
roythomas

Welcome

Post by roythomas »

Dear Everyone,
I left graduate school some years ago and have not been practising greek and hebrew. I am hoping to continue the learning process.
Blessing be to you all for the few days left in this year and specially for the new year ahead of us.
roythomas..
Barry Hofstetter

Re: χαίρετε

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Greetings to both Emma and Roy, and good to have you both on board. One suggestion for review is to read actual texts (both NT and extra-biblical), and tie your review to those texts. They don't have to be long passages, but consistent (best daily) work is what you need.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

Return to “Introductions”