greetings from South East Asia

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Sophronios Budiman

greetings from South East Asia

Post by Sophronios Budiman »

Χαίρετε!
Allow me to introduce myself

I am from Jakarta Indonesia
I've just very recently build interest in biblical Greek
What I have done is self stufy from mounce, duff and are going to add black textbook to enhance my library.
My reading ability is still wet behind the ears. Surely mastering Basics morphology and vocab is not an easy task. Somehow I love it and am keeping my best.
There are many questions that puzzled me during my study, and having no greek teacher around put me on the dead end often. Thats why I join this forum so I can learn things from those who are also learning and already expert on the matter.

Χαρις και ειρήνη υμιν!
Thomas Dolhanty

Re: greetings from South East Asia

Post by Thomas Dolhanty »

Sophronios Budiman wrote:Χαίρετε!
Allow me to introduce myself

I am from Jakarta Indonesia
I've just very recently build interest in biblical Greek
What I have done is self stufy from mounce, duff and are going to add black textbook to enhance my library.
My reading ability is still wet behind the ears. Surely mastering Basics morphology and vocab is not an easy task. Somehow I love it and am keeping my best.
There are many questions that puzzled me during my study, and having no greek teacher around put me on the dead end often. Thats why I join this forum so I can learn things from those who are also learning and already expert on the matter.

Χαρις και ειρήνη υμιν!
Welcome to B-Greek Sophronios, and welcome to the study of Biblical Greek. There are a lot of us on B-Greek who have studied on our own for various reasons. The preferred method for sure is to study with a teacher and with fellow students, but that is not always possible. I am amongst "those who are also learning" in your description, and have found, again like many here, that reading Greek text aloud is a very important part of the learning experience. If you can acquire a good recording of the Greek New Testament to help you with pronunciation, that is very helpful. There are some on the Net which are free.

Progress seems to happen in 'jumps and starts', but if you look back at where you were a few weeks or months ago, you will be encouraged that what seemed impossible then, seems relatively easy now.

One last comment; you should decide early on what system of pronunciation you will use - and then stick with it. The three options are Erasmian, reconstructed Koine, and modern. I would recommend one of the last two, but whichever you choose stick with it, because hearing and reading aloud the sounds of the language consistently, as I said, will be a great help in learning.
γράφω μαθεῖν
Sophronios Budiman

Thomas Dolhanty wrote:that reading Greek text aloud is a very important part of the learning experience. If you can acquire a good recording of the Greek New Testament to help you with pronunciation, that is very helpful. There are some on the Net which are free.
I will. thank you for the suggestion. :D

Thomas Dolhanty wrote:One last comment; you should decide early on what system of pronunciation you will use - and then stick with it. The three options are Erasmian, reconstructed Koine, and modern.
I personally am using the modern Greek one which I choose simply because of the one I heard the most.
which one do you use btw?
Sophronios Budiman

Thank you for your suggestion. I will trying to the audio soon.
My personal choose of pronounciation is the modern greek. I know that it is not without its problem, but I found that the flow is the easiest due to its similarity to my native language. :)
Thomas Dolhanty

Post by Thomas Dolhanty »

Sophronios Budiman wrote:Thank you for your suggestion. I will trying to the audio soon.
My personal choose of pronounciation is the modern greek. I know that it is not without its problem, but I found that the flow is the easiest due to its similarity to my native language. :)
Modern Greek pronunciation is a good choice, and there are quite a few free audio resources on the internet. Regarding grammar books, there is no single book that is strong in every aspect, and Mounce is no exception - strong in some things, not so much in other things.

A good teacher would fill in the missing parts and also point out what is important in the early stages and what is not. It is smart to use other grammar books as a reference, as you are doing. I don't know Duff, but Black will certainly be helpful. Also you might want to read at least the introduction to Funk's Grammar: http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/project/f ... pre-alpha/. Another good online grammar is Palmer: http://www.greek-language.com/grammar/01.html
γράφω μαθεῖν
Sophronios Budiman

Thomas Dolhanty wrote: Also you might want to read at least the introduction to Funk's Grammar: http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/project/f ... pre-alpha/.
Thank you.. I am just halfway through it.. discussion about structure signal is truly insightful

Return to “Introductions”