Greetings

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Jon Marquez

Greetings

Post by Jon Marquez »

I found the forum through a Google search result as I was looking more closely at the "deponent" middle voice of ἠγωνίζοντο in John 18:36 (ἀπεκρίθη Ἰησοῦς• ἡ βασιλεία ἡ ἐμὴ οὐκ ἔστιν ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου τούτου• εἰ ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου τούτου ἦν ἡ βασιλεία ἡ ἐμή, οἱ ὑπηρέται οἱ ἐμοὶ ἠγωνίζοντο [ἂν] ἵνα μὴ παραδοθῶ τοῖς Ἰουδαίοις• νῦν δὲ ἡ βασιλεία ἡ ἐμὴ οὐκ ἔστιν ἐντεῦθεν. - NA28).

Having studied three years formally using Mounce and Wallace, this site looks like a good resource for getting questions answered.

Thank you,
Jon
- Jon Marquez
Stephen Hughes

Re: Greetings

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Hi Jon,
Thanks for your initial post.

Do you have a specific question about the verb ἠγωνίζοντο?

Deponents is a complicated issue here on B-Greek. Most of us learnt them as such, a few people object to the name, some want to redefine the relationship between passive and active, and some find an middle-passive sense in some verbs which are active in form. Whatever question you ask will be answered as much from the position of the respondee as it will be an answer to the question you have posed. You would do well to be aware of that if you do ask and then if you do receive answers. :lol: All par for the course in an open discussion forum.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Jon Marquez

Post by Jon Marquez »

Stephen,

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a specific question per se. Right now, my goal is to read what's already available on the site re: deponents so that I can get a grasp on the various positions you mentioned. Obviously, since I learned from Mounce and Wallace, my exposure to those various positions has been limited. After I peruse some threads, I'll be in a better position to ask questions.

That said, if you or anyone else knows of specific threads that would give a general overview of the various positions of deponents, I'd be grateful to be pointed in that direction.

Thanks again!
Jon
- Jon Marquez
Eeli Kaikkonen

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Jon Marquez wrote: That said, if you or anyone else knows of specific threads that would give a general overview of the various positions of deponents, I'd be grateful to be pointed in that direction.
http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/vie ... =34&t=2459

https://pages.wustl.edu/cwconrad/ancient-greek-voice
Jon Marquez

Post by Jon Marquez »

- Jon Marquez

Return to “Introductions”