I'm Excited

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Kevin

I'm Excited

Post by Kevin »

Hello, everyone! I'm Kevin from Southeast Oklahoma. I am here to learn.
Stephen Hughes

Re: I'm Excited

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Welcome Kevin.

Set yourself strict and regular short-term (daily AND weekly) goals for memorisation, slightly flexible mid-term (monthly and six monthly) goals for how much you want to master the skills of using what you are memorising - knowing that your progress in using what you have acquired depends on your acquisition, and keep your long term (yearly and biannual) goals pretty vague and lofty.

Besides mastering the language, don't be afraid to read through discussions that contain Greek words and phrases are way to complex for you to understand. With the help of an interlinear and a translation, you will probably be able to follow what is being said. There is no need to tie you intellectual curiosity to your level of Greek - no need to dumb-down your mind to the level of your Greek mastery. We are all here far more competent in our own languages than we are in Greek (except perhaps in my case my spelling in Greek is better than my English :oops: ). You have fully developed mental facilities in English, give them free reign to explore the types of arguments and discussion that are here and in the archives. As you develop your knowledge and skills in Greek, you will need less and less aids to be able to read the Greek parts. Developing your thinking about things is important alongside the skills that you can learn in handling the language by, for and of itself.

Unless you have other plans or prior commitments, I recommend that you work with one of the modern pronunciations, either restored Imperial Koine or Modern Greek. It is something that you will have to look into in the early stages of your study.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “Introductions”